1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding up bit torret via opening ports

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Torrano, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Torrano

Torrano Member

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted to death but im kinda new to the whole opening ports thing.

I've seen a lot of post about how to speed up BT by opening ports 6881-6689 or something, only one problem theres this mention of "routers"!!. For those of us who just use a modem a la me or anybody else in that case, it is possible to open ports or do i need to go out and buy a router to get higher download speeds.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  2. L33

L33 Member

Add the port you want to your firewall's exception list.

3. Torrano

Torrano Member

What firewall i dont have any installed?

4. teggy

teggy Regular member

Well if you have windows XP SP2 there is a built in software firewall.
    I would reccomend having one!

If you are windows 9x/me you could try Sygate Peronal Firewall (SPF). It is free and has very good monitering features.

And the ports are 6881 - 6889 or 50505 - 50606, generally I haven't noticed a performance change with ports 6881 - 6889. I therefore used the default ports that are set in bittornado which are 50505 - 50606, There is a performance change, I have only noticed it in downloading vidoes or music not in anything else.

You could however I'm sure, experiment, try opening a set of ports and setting your program to run from them ports. Also I suggest using bittornado.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  5. Torrano

Torrano Member

I dont have Windows XP SP2 installed, becuase it f***ed up my computer last time I downloaded it really messed up IE. Anyways what performance gains have u noticed using the default ports 50505 and 50506 cause mine were set on 6881-6889

6. teggy

teggy Regular member

Usually my bittorent would peak at 30 - 50kbps now with this program(bittornado) and on 50505-50606 ports I can get a steady 100+kbps and download a gig in just over 3hours.

XPsp2, um do you get flash.ocx problems then IE error and it closes? I get them frequently.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  7. Torrano

Torrano Member

Cheers I try setting the ports to 50505-50606, hopefully this should sort things out. As for SP2 everytime I tried to browse the web it kept saying URL not found on every web page

8. teggy

teggy Regular member

That's not SP2, I had that problem. My ISP released a patch that needed to be installed b4 SP2. I uninstalled then installed the patch and installed SP2 again and it's fine.

9. Torrano

Torrano Member

Hmm I'm not so sure I've never heard of a patch to fix this from my ISP and once I installed SP2 I couldnt get the the damn thing off (asides from formatting), think we'll just leave it well alone. btw if reconfiguring BT works, youll be me best bud!