1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding Up My Computer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by louispfc, Oct 9, 2003.

1. louispfc

louispfc Member

Hi,
    iam hopeless when it comes to computers and i was just wondering if any of you could help me. I am in very desprate need to speed up my PC but im not quite sure what i need to buy. My specs are:
    AMD DURON 700mhz
    64MB RAM.
    I heard i could buy a ram chip that slotted inside of my machine for quite cheap and was considering buying that but 1st i need to know if it will do any good? Should i go ahead and buy the chip i have found( http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-256/10 ) or do i need to update something else (e.g the AMD Duron 700mhz)?
    Thanks in advance.
    Louis

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

What kind of budget are we talking here?

3. louispfc

louispfc Member

A very small budget im affraid, what i bascically want to know is will it be worth me buying the cheap Ram chip or will it not work?

4. Praetor

With only 64MB of RAM I would guess that anything will help hehe... RAM is fairly cheap nowadays and I'm sure you can find 512MB for under ~$100). Just make sure you ask for PC133 (i assume that is what you have).

5. allanvon

allanvon Guest

and if you can get away from the Duron 700, and get an Athlon chip, ever if it is a 700 too it will help, trust me, stay away from Duron.

Better yet if you e-mail me, i have afew AMD Athlon 900mhz chips here i will try to make you a deal. << no emails please. it's for your own good, really it is. Use private messages instead. -Praetor >>

take care.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2003
  6. louispfc

louispfc Member

Im quite certain buying a AMD Athlon 900mhz would be completely out of my price range.

7. Praetor

Well in that case, i would reccommend you just go with the RAM for now. Prolly the best option available given the circumstances.

8. louispfc

louispfc Member

I have took the risk and ordered a RAM chip,i got a PC133 256MB (i took Praetor's advice) and now im just waiting for it to arrive. I still have a small sum of cash left if there is anything else i should invest in.
    Also i was just wondering will the RAM chip speed up applications such as Pinnicle studio, premiere 6 ect?

9. Praetor

It will help the speed dude :). A word of warning though... dont just take my word for it that you just did the right thing (even though i honestly believe it is)... check it out for yourself beforehand if you can! :)

Aside from RAM there arent many improvements that are cheap so go buy urself a beer!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  10. shivera

shivera Guest

Hey

A way if you havent done it is-its free ;)- you can defrag. If you use win 98 do it everymonth. If you got xp you can analyze and itll tell you if you need to. Another way is if you got a small hard drive go to control pannel and uninstall some programs. Also you can run disk clean up. You get like MBs when your on the internet from temps and stuff. My computer was really slow once. I tried uninstalling all the uness stuff. It speed it right up. Some programs could be eating up yout system resources. You need no less than 60%.
    RAM should help. But now you got some ram download a free ram optimizer. Sometimes your RAM while get full and it does pretty fast. The ram optimizer moniters it and you can tell it when to optimize and it will auto do it when your ram is full. I think one is called ram xp or somthin. Just look around.

CYA

11. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

I've got a 2400+ Athlon XP
    256 DDR 133Mhz RAM
    MSI-KT4V Mobo
    80 gig IBM 7200RPM :(
    Geforce 2 64MB MX 400 :(
    DVD-RW (pio 105)
    DVD ROM (pio??)

This system runs slower than my brothers 1200 Duron 128 RAM and 64MB ATI Card.

Whats goin wrong?

12. allanvon

allanvon Guest

have you checked your BIOS? and check your front side bus, your board supports 266, and i think the 2400+ does too, and check your video card, becouse you have a nice system but if your video card is running with SDram, then you might be bottle necking at the video, and your nice system will slow down big time if your video can't keep up.

Good luck.

13. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

yup card is sd ram might have to invest in a nu 1?
    Any ideas budget about 60quid

14. allanvon

allanvon Guest

well, since DDR is the standard with vid cards, you can a card with 128DDR for about 50-60, www.tigerdirect.com has some good deals, but most of the stuff they have is used. but there are good deals out there, check www.pricewatch.com, and watch who you buy from.

Good luck.

15. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

found a Radeon 9200 128mb DDR on ebuyer for about 60 might go for it wen i get the money ;)