1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spider Chip will not flash

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Cpt.Stoob, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Cpt.Stoob

Cpt.Stoob Member

Hey, I just installed my spider chip 1.1 on my xbox version 1.6 and the install went flawlessly. The cromwell bios boots. The problem I am having now is flashing the chip. I have tried programs such as Disc Juggler, 3 different versions of nero, and Dvd Decrypter to try and burn to my media.I have followed instructions from the official spider chip site as well as other sites on the internet and still no luck. I have used:
    CD-RW from Maxell
    Dvd-R from Liteon
    Dvd-R from Ridata
    Cd-r from Memorex

I know that most dvd roms in an xbox wont read cd-r but mine does. I have the Phillips drive. What happens when I put the disc in after I tell the spider chip to boot the bios from the disc is it says the name of the cd rom label and does nothing. It just hangs there. It doesn't even give me a screen saying that there is no bios found, halting. Although I have had the halting screen before. I am trying to flash the m8Plus_16. Is there supposed to be some sort of progress bar or a completion sign or is the chip supposed to just do nothing if it finds the bios. If anybody can help me on this one it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cpt.Stoob

Cpt.Stoob Member

Nevermind, I got it to work.
    If anybody wants to know how to burn a good spider chip flash cd just send me a message.

3. mainjej

mainjej Member

Yes Stoob please tell me how to make a disc that will actually flash this damn chip!!

4. bonddong

bonddong Member

Rename it bios not bios.bin That was my problem I renamed it bios.bin and and when I used nero drag and drop it would change it to bios.bin.bin so I renamed it just bios and nero changed it to bios.bin and it worked fine.

5. bonddong

bonddong Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  6. Cpt.Stoob

Cpt.Stoob Member

okay mainjej dont worry, give me like a day and I will post some instructions on how to make a good cd.

7. Cpt.Stoob

Cpt.Stoob Member

Alright, here are some instructions on how to burn a working spider chip flash cd. First off, you need the right bios. You can choose any bios you want but I reccomend the M8Plus bios or the M8Plus_16. If you have an xbox version 1.0-1.5 use the M8Plus. If you have an xbox version 1.6 use the M8Plus_16 bios. I would send you a link to where to download this but I am not allowed. Now I know a lot of the stuff I say in this tutorial may seem unnecessary but I am just going to tell you exactly what I did to get it to work. So here it goes

First, here is the required software:
    [bold]1)Dvd Decrypter[/bold] http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/1011845169/1
    [bold]2)Nero version 5.5[/bold]
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Nero-Burning-Rom-Download-5419.html
    (you can use other versions of nero but remember I am just telling you exactly what I did)

Okay, now comes the actual instructions:
    [bold]1)[/bold]Get a bios that you want (I recommend the M8Plus or the M8Plus_16 depending on what version xbox you have)
    [bold]2)[/bold]Open up nero(5.5 in this tutorial) and close the wizard if it pops up. Click file--->new. Now get your files ready. Get your bios and your dummy file prepared so you can create an iso image with nero. For the dummy file what I did was just create a folder and named it dummy and put 50 megs worth of music in it. So I would recommend doing that. What you need to understand is that we are not going to be actually burning the iso image with nero, we are going to use Dvd Decrypter for that. Just make sure that all your iso settings in nero match SpiderChip.com's flashing tutorial.(see link below)
    http://www.spiderchip.com/Spider-flash.pdf

Now what you have to make sure to do is rename your bios file to Bios.Make SURE to spell it exactly like this -----> Bios (even make sure it has the capital B. I know it may be pointless to have the capital B but that is what I did)

Now just drag your dummy file with the 50 megs of music in it(it doesn't have to be 50 megs just make it around 50 megs or more) and your Bios file over to your iso compilation and then create an iso image.

Now that you have that iso image open up Dvd Decrypter. Once that is opened click Mode--->ISO---->Write.
    Click the folder icon where it says source and locate your Iso file. Once you select that burn using a CD-RW.(I used a Maxell CD-RW but depending on what company dvd rom you have in your xbox it may or may not read the disk so try different types of media)Set the burning speed to 4x and press the symbol of the hard drive to the dvd and it will start burning.

That is it. Depending on how you interpreted this tutorial you may or may not succeed in flashing your spider chip. Of course you have to have prior knowledge to computers in general and Nero. I'm very sorry for the poor quality of this tutorial its just I wish I had more time to write a more detailed explanation with pictures. My final conclusion regarding the spider chip is that flashing the chip is not very user friendly but more of just trial and error and trying different things. What needs to be understood about the spider chip is that it is a basically brand new chip to the market and will have its problems in the beginning but once you get it working properly it does its job well. I think that once the spider chip programmer comes out the chip will be given a lot more credit.

Thank you and I hope this helps somebody >The Muskrats<

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. mainjej

mainjej Member

I figured it out. It doesn't say it in the instructions, but if u uncheck the box next to joleit in nero, it works fine!! Thanks for all of you guys help.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  9. littlerid

littlerid Member

can some pm me who knows how to find m8+16. any info will help.