1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spin-disc notch/spring

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ps2new, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ps2new

ps2new Member

PS2 - took apart PS2 and the part that houses the tiny swith which needs to be depressed in order for the disc to spin broke. Attached to this part was a small metal spring that apparently needs to make contact w/ the board. I lost the spring. Ideas 2fix?

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

This is a very easy problem to fix, all you need to do is get a wire, and solder it to the 2 metal strips you can see inside the broken switch. Please take a pic of the damage you have caused and post it here, I will give you straight forward simple instructions on how to fix the switch, if you cant see the metal strips. You could stuff aluminium foil in the broken switch if you dont have a soldering iron, and put some tape over it, but i recommend you post a pic, so i can see how badly its damaged.

3. ps2new

ps2new Member

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I tried the foil and several other metal objects and no-go. Here is a link to some pics that mught shed some more light on my problem - thanks!

4. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Firstly, I would just like to make sure, that when you inserted the foil, it was touching the two metal terminals at the bottom, and you were also holding down the sensor switch near the reset button, because both switches need to be pushed down for the drive to read a disk.

5. ps2new

ps2new Member

I placed the foil in so that it was flush with the bottom. I believe it was therefore touching both terminal sides. I also put the lid back on turned on the unit which then goes directly to the browser config.

6. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Have you got a soldering iron?

7. ps2new

ps2new Member

No, but I can get a hold of one. What do you suggest?

8. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

If you can get a hold of one, then i recommend you do so, and then get a wire, solder those two terminal together, that way, it wont fail.

9. ps2new

ps2new Member

As a last resort, I put another piece of foil in horizontally into the notch and bingo - works great!!!! I can now return an unopened PS2 back to the store in case I had to scrap the one just fixed on ebay. Thanks a million (or $129.99).

10. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Ok, cool, its not a difficult fix anyway, glad u fixed it. Reply back if u need any help.