1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split and join with Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Novakid, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Novakid

Novakid Member

I want to split disc1 of gerry's catalogue at ch19 and burn that to disc - then join remaining to disc2 content for my second disc.

Shrink and nero is all I'm familiar with. I know I can do first bit with what I've got no probs but unless I can do second bit it's just a waste of disc.

Read some stuff about DVD2one but don't have it. Is there another way?

Please be gentle to begin with this is my first post. Yes, I have been reading forum for a while but couldn't find what I wanted. Willing and able to learn quickly.

Cheers muchly.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hello there NoveKid,

Not to worry, once upon a time I stopped by here for my first time too -

You can do what you wish with either DVD Shrink in the "re-Author" mode (No menus though) OR with Nero in it's Recode 2 in it's "ReMake a DVD" function (you'll be able to have menus here). Depending on how much of this type of work you're going to do using DVD2One can be used too. DVD2One has trial period (I forget how long it is, something like 21 or 30-days. You'd split your DVD's using DVD Shrink and then use DVD2One in it's "Join" mode, very easy, that :)

I have no idea what you're doing though, the names you quoted aren't familiar to me at all.

If it's off TV (you said something about ch19) you'll have to do some converting of formats - I won't go into it cause it may be part of your DVD's name - ?

I'm also assuming that you might have mentioned something as major as that though -

Anyway, welcome to the Club :p)

Pete

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  5. Novakid

Novakid Member

Okay, I've read thru all your replies and url suggestions but I think CH19 got everyone going down the tv track instead of thinking chapters. Please forgive my vagueness I'm just not sure what level of detail is sensible.

I have a film split on two discs. Disc 1 has 20 chapters, disc 2 has 10. I want to reauthor with 15 chapters on each for the sake of compression quality.

Disc 1 is easy. Using DVD Shrink I can trim off the last 5 chapters and burn. But here is the tricky bit. How do I put the last 5 chapters of disc 1 and the 10 chapters of disc 2 together on a seperate dvd-r? I want to use Shrink cos I'm a cheapskate who can't afford DVD2one. The trial version apparently only compresses the first 30mins and I need at least 2 hours.

If it can't be done please explain why and I'll start saving for something that can.

6. Novakid

Novakid Member

So I came up with a straight forward answer in the end, all by myself.

1) Encode the bits i want from the first disc saving as a file on hard drive.

2) Open second disc. Click re-author and grab the stuff from the 1st disc from the drop down menu. Then drag over what I need from the second disc.

3) Set audio, balance compression rates and Bob is your uncle! Players read the two (or more) files as seperate consecutive titles. Sure there is a short pause but I have a high quality rip, neatly split and balanced and it didn't cost me a cent.

DVD2one might be seemless but this is cool enough.

Apologies for being so dense when in the end twas so easy. Thought Gerry's Catalogue was a fairly obvious clue but I tend to be quite abstract.

Even when I figured this out I couldn't find anything about this method in the guides or forum. Seems so obvious now - just wondrin why no one else mentioned it?