1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting a Large Movie into Two Parts

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by bazilla, Feb 24, 2005.

1. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I'm looking for some tips on splitting a large movie into two parts. Specifically, "Lawrence of Arabia." The movie itself is 3:46 hours long, and dvd shrink needs to compress 55%. I'm thinking I don't need to reauthor or rencode any of the VOB's. There are 8 of them, 7 in 1GB chunks, and then a very small one. What I'm wanting to do is put the first four on one dvd, and the second four on another.

I don't need a menu. I just want to the VOB's to play when I put the dvd's in the player.

What tool(s) can I use to create VIDEO_TS.* and VTS_01_0.* to play the existing VOB's?

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I was a little intimidated by it at first, but I think ifoedit is going to do it for me. I'm giving it a spin right now.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You obviously have DVD Shrink already and that's the best tool out there for splitting a movie if you don't care about menus. All you have to do is click the Reauthor button, add the Main Movie title to the disc, and then click the Set Start/End Frame button so you can tell Shrink what chapter to end the first disc on. Create the files for disc 1 and then change the End chapter to the last one on the disc and set the Start chapter to the correct one for disc 2 and create the files for disc 2.

Keep in mind you always need to reauthor if you split a disc. Authoring has nothing to do with encoding the VOBs. It's just the process of taking properly encoded audio/video/subtitles and creating the DVD fileset from them.

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Hey vurbal, thanks. I didn't know you could do that with dvd shrink. I'm going to give it a try. My first pass with ifoedit was a bust. It seemed to be doing what I wanted it to, and split the movie into two parts, but it obviously didn't redo the IFO files correctly because the resulting VIDEO_TS files are unplayable.

I'll let you know how it goes with dvd shrink.

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

ok ifo will do it!

take your first 4 vobs only already named in consec format like this:

VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB

and keep in its own folder PART-1, now do second set!

change from 5 to 1 again like first set!

VTS_01_5.VOB
    VTS_01_6.VOB
    VTS_01_7.VOB
    VTS_01_8.VOB

change to this below

VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB

put in second folder PART-2

now click IFOEDIT button CREATE IFO and keep same folder as destination and let it sort it!

then do second folder!

then burn those 2 sets separately to 2 dvdr's!

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Thanks Rotary. I've saved this thread for future reference.

But vurbal's pointer to dvd shrink did it for me.