1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

splitting a movie to two dics ???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BIGJJ, Jan 7, 2005.

1. BIGJJ

BIGJJ Member

I was was wondering if anyone could tell me if its possible to split a large movie and put it on two discs.
    I wanted to split Troy to two discs because even reauthoring it ,its still at a 61% .
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. linbegone

linbegone Member

You can use a program that i use called DVDFab gold and platinum....the platinum is used to shrink to fit a single layer whereas the gold will split it and fit it on to two single layer discs for you...no reauthoring on your part. hope this helps.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD2One, DVD Shrink 3.2, and DVDXCopy are a few choices for doing the particular job. Just do some searching and choose the best for you. I'd use DVDCopy3 from InterVideo. It's my choice for any recording, except when the compression gets high and I switch to RB/CCE.

4. hursty

hursty Active member

can any of the above be used to split ps2 dvd9?
    regards hursty

5. brobear

brobear Guest

That would be a question for the console game section. I didn't think pS2 would work with split discs (except when used as a video player). Most of the game discs are below 4.37GB and go on the DVD5 discs. The few that are larger are recorded to the DVD9. The factory games are on DVD ROM discs. Unlike movies, ps2 game discs have to be recorded 1:1 to work properly. I got most of that info from a friend that's into ps2 in a big way. He has a modded box that plays the backed up discs.

6. hursty

hursty Active member

not true,they are split onto 2 dvd's,just wanted to know if any of the above programs would be up to the job
    with kind regards hursty

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Interesting, I'll have to bring that one up, but as I said a discussion for the game section. These apps are intended for movies, not games. Copying from a DVD9 dual layer is copying from a copy. The factory discs are ROM. Just curious though, since PS2 works off the disc and you say discs are split, what are you saying, that you load the separate discs and then play? The people I know are just loading the bigger games on the dual layer discs (not that many titles over 4.37GB yet). If you can afford the games and the mod units and all, surely you can afford a cheap little DL burner and media.

8. hursty

hursty Active member

games are not burnt on dl discs.they are split.i have a dual layer burner but as far as i know,dual dvd wont load on modded ps2,more and more games are being released on dvd9,suppose software companies are trying to stop piracy.
    copying dvd9 is very difficult.

as this is dvd-r forum....you may be able to help me...
    i am running nero vision express to convert avi to dvd,expected time is approx 20hrs,so i leave the pc running.....switch everything off.internet/antivir.the lot......it keeps stopping???i pull on the mouse and my dvd rom drive starts again and carries on transcoding.
    any idea why it stops.
    with kind regards hursty

9. brobear

brobear Guest

This thread is getting way off topic. I'd advise doing a search and if you can't find what you're looking for on AVI conversion, then start a new thread. No one will associate that question with this thread's title. I've never had a Nero conversion take that long.

We're sort of arguing semantics and terms here on games. ROM and DVD9 in the past have been used loosely as interchangeable. With the new recordable dl DVD9s there needs to be some differentiation. The factory ROMs are not the same as the recordable DVD media and aren't recorded in the same manner. I'll check with my friend that's into gaming; I do remember him talking about a game he was putting on DL due to the size. As I said, this is a good topic for the game section. This is DVD for newbies under DVD +/-R discussion. The management created the Console Backup section especially for games. This section is pretty much for video recording.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2005
  10. hursty

hursty Active member

i did put thread up,but no reply.took me 30 hrs to transcode/burn 2 hours of video

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds way out of line. I use NVE occasionally, but I'm no expert on it. Hope you find your answers.