1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

splitting dvd9 without using ifoedit or smartripper

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kinza, Oct 3, 2004.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

Is there any way to split a dvd9 onto to two dvd-r's without using ifoedit or smartripper?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I split movies all the time with Shrink. I just reauthor, open the Start/End Chapter select feature and cut out the second half of the chapters. Once that is done I do the same thing to the first half of the chapters. In each case I create a folder on my HDD. Once I get two folders done, I then burn each folder to it's own disc.

This method does not allow menus so if I really need them I'll use DVD Lab for that. I rarely want or need menus on any of my backups though.

You can find the guide for splitting discs with Shrink here:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

This uses Shrink 2.3 but the procedure has not changed.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  3. kinza

kinza Regular member

Can you tell me how to do split a dvd9 with Dvd Lab?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again kinza,
    I don't do the split with DVD Lab, I just use DVD Lab to author the .vobs from each folder I made using Shrink. I make my own menus and add an insert disc 2 clip at the end of the first disc.

Heres a link to DVD Lab help which explains it a lot better than I can:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/Help/index.htm
    Frank

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

I am trying to make a backup of a foreign dvd with around 70 songs in it. When I reauthor it in Shrink it shows it as one big title, what should I do? I know that in Smartripper you can rip only some of the chapters.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

That is normal. I'll give you a few Shrink pointers so you can split it.

>Open it and select Reauthor.

>Drag the main title over to the compilation window on the left.

>Find the two opposing blue arrows just above the area you put your main title in and click on them. This opens the Start/End Chapter select feature.

>Using the Chapter Select drop-down menu, select the first half of the chapters.

>Select OK.

Now you will need to back this set of chapters up to a location on your hard drive. Put them in a folder labeled disc 1 or something like that.

The next thing you do is just repeat what you just did. This time though, select the second half of the chapters, backing them up to another folder, labeled disc 2.

You can now use your favorite burning program to burn each folder to it's own disc or use an authoring program to create menus.

The Start/End Chapter select feature is really easy once you play with it for awhile. Check it out.

If you want to add an "insert disc 2" clip you can find some here:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/inserts.php

Cheers,
    Frank