1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Ricko, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Ricko

Ricko Guest

I have split a movie up into 4 parts using dv tool ver 031,thats no probs. I have encoded the first part of the movie with TMPGEn with no probs but when I want to encode parts 2,3,and 4 it says that the file is unsupported and it will not let me encode,Could some one help me as I have looked everywhere and cant seem to find the problem.
    Many thanks
    Ricko

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

what file type do you have? avi, mpeg, wmv, divx ??

3. Ricko

Ricko Guest

Mpeg

4. VCDjunkie

I will have to try this at home and get back to you when I know more.. in the mean time just in case my instincts are correct, you can try to open the files in Virtual Dub, and then click audio-->full processing mode, audio-->conversion, and select 44100hz 16bit stereo high quality, then click file-->save wav. Now use this wav file as your audio source instead of the split mpg file, and continue using the mpg as your video source.. if still not working, possibly use TMPGenc to do de-multiplex in order to split the audio and video using MPEG TOOLS on the file menu, and use the .m1v file as your video source, and the virtual dub wav file as your audio source..

Let me know how that works, and if not I will test it more later!

5. VCDjunkie

I had the same problem with part 2,3,4, etc.. after splitting mpg with DVTool. Seems to be a bug in the software, but the files playback fine, which I would assume should mean you can create VCD with them.. haven't tried though.. to be safe, if you plan on testing it use a CD-RW disc so you don't waste one in case it don't work. I am going to give Sonic Foundry Vegas Video a try later on and see if it can do the file splitting.. I'll let you know if that worked.

6. Ricko

Ricko Guest

Hi VCD Junkie
    I have tried all what you said but its not working.It says ASF file support has been removed at the request of Microsoft,I know thats the prob but I dont know how to fix it.

7. VCDjunkie

as an alternative, you can just have TMPGenc do the splitting for you like so:

using the project wizard, on step 3/5 select source range and you can then set the start and end frames for each segment you want to encode.. you will have to do this several times, but the good news is that you can set this up as a batch job using the wizard by putting the check in "create another project(s) for batch encoding"

I myself have done this succesfully several times in the past, just never with splitting a movie into 4 parts.. I can't believe I didn't remember this before now.

Anyhow, best of luck!

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

ricko you split an mpg up into 4 parts?
    try this if you still have the original mpg put it into tmpgenc and encode the whole thing then put it into dvtool and then split the mpg.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2002
  9. Ricko

Ricko Guest

I have used the wizard and used the source to encode part by part of the movie but it just hangs the Pc,Thats the reason for splitting the movie up in 4 parts,I turned everything off such as win programs screensavers etc etc,im baffled with the problem.

10. VCDjunkie

Last edited: Oct 12, 2002