1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Splitting large .AVI files to view on a TV

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by sonnet61, Feb 19, 2015.

1. sonnet61

sonnet61 Member

I used to have a mini-DV camera. I would then dump a 12 GB .AVI file onto my hard drive, then burn that file to a 1 hour DVD. However, as time when on, the DVDs started piling up and taking up space. My new plan is to take the original .AVI files, split them up into smaller files, and that way I can organize the files in a more manageable way. I then want to move them onto my "Western Digital Elements Play AV Media Player". This is a device I have plugged into my TV via an HDMI cable.

Now, if I play one of the DVDs, it looks just fine on my 32" 1080p television. However, when I use either Windows Movie Maker or Handbrake to split the .AVI file into .MP4 files, the picture is then displayed as a small square on the television. When I outputted the file using Windows Movie Maker, I selected the "For High Definition display" setting. Even though I understand I am not actually improving the quality, my hope was that it would output the best possible video file using the .AVI file.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here? What tool should I use to split 12 GB .AVI files? What format should I output them to?

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. sonnet61

sonnet61 Member

For some reason I'm getting the following error messages every time I try to open ad .AVI file with this program:

"Attempt to open (name of file).avi failed!"
    "Could not open file."

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. sonnet61

sonnet61 Member

Great. Here is what I get when I run it through MediaInfo:

[​IMG]

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. sonnet61

sonnet61 Member

OK. I'll try my luck over there.

8. pmshah

pmshah Member

My brother in law too has one of those media players. You might want to try mkvmerge to split the files into smaller segments. It works flawlessly on his system.