1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting one DVD into 2 DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RalphZero, Jan 28, 2005.

1. RalphZero

RalphZero Member

When using DVD Shrink, I notice that quite a bit is being shrunk and I can see the difference in the video quality from the original and backed up copy.

I use DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and Nero.

I would like to take one movie and split it in half and copy one half to one DVD and the other to another DVD.

This was easy with Curb your Enthusiasm, because the DVD had six episodes and each episode was a seperate file on the DVD. I used Shrink and dragged over 3 episodes at a time.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi RalphZero
    If you dont care about a menu, you can do that easily with dvd shrink and this guide:http://www.dvdshrink.info/splitting-v2-3.php
    good luck
    jim

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

If you want the menu, you can also use Shrink. Use full disk mode and set the compression for the unwanted episodes on the first disk to "still image" and process. For the second disk, set the compression to "still image" for the episodes burned on the first disk and use full compression for the episodes you want on the second disk. The menu will be the same on both disks although the links will be to still picture for the omitted episodes for that disk. If you want to split a movie title with Shrink, you will have to use the "start and end frames" feature.

4. RalphZero

RalphZero Member

I was able to split a long movie into two DVDs and keep all the Menus. I used DVD Decrypter, IFOEdit, DVD Shrink and Nero. Sweet!!!!!

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

You know, with the quality settings options you have in DVD Shrink, you should be able to get a damn near perfect backup at 50% compression. I do. When you click Backup an option window pops up asking where to store the DVD files, etc. Well if you click the Quality Settings tab, you can check a box that says something like better error compensation...I leave mine set to Sharp. I think movies turn out best that way. A lot of people like the Smooth though.

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Squizzle: I agree in most cases that 50% compression is pretty good. There are some titles such as TV series where there are as many as 5 episodes on one disk. They've already reduced the quality a lot to get the 5 eppys on the disk so another 50% compression does take its toll, especially when viewing on a large widescreen TV. Otherwise, it's easier to make a single backup.