1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoof drive, how to?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by DraTs, Dec 5, 2007.

1. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

Ok guys, here's the deal. I got a 360 a couple weeks ago, it has a hitachi drive in it, so I am assuming its one of the 79 drives, as it was made in early October. I don't want to install a mod chip in the drive for several reasons, mainly because I don't want the drive to look hardware modified in case the RROD attacks. So I have three questions:

1. Can I get the key off of the drive without modding it, so I can spoof another drive?

2. Are there any faqs or how to's on how to spoof a drive? I have been looking, and even searched this forum, and haven't found anything.

3. If I was looking for another drive to spoof, which would be the best drive?

2. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

3. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

maybe i should have made the title "Spoof drive, how to? And a few other questions."

Anyhow, I've yet to find my answers... so help would be appreciated.

4. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

So I guess its just safe to assume that noone knows how to spoof a drive.. or if a key/firmware/whatever can be retrieved from a 79 drive without first modding it. I know you have to install a chip to flash it, but dont know if you have to to retrieve the key from it.

5. Memnock

Memnock Active member

1. Can I get the key off of the (0079) drive without modding it, so I can spoof another drive?
    No, not without soldering a passkey chip on there. Now this answer may made your other questions kind of pointless, but I'll answer them anyway.

2. Are there any faqs or how to's on how to spoof a drive? I have been looking, and even searched this forum, and haven't found anything.
    All there is to spoofing is opening the firmware in toolbox 4.5(I think that's the latest version) and then going to tools/spoof firmware.

3. If I was looking for another drive to spoof, which would be the best drive?

It doesn't matter. I'd get a Benq, Samsung and then Hitachi in that order if I had to make a choice.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  6. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

Thank you for your answers.. damnit, yeah that first one makes it so the other questions are moot. Hmm.. doh. I asked this because in another thread someone said my alternative to soldering a chip in would be to get another drive and spoof the original... but that sucks because it still requires me to solder the original... hmm.. well hopefully they will come out with a flash only solution soon.