1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spoolsv.exe and fp00000.shd/spl

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by szngnp, Feb 18, 2007.

1. szngnp

szngnp Member

I have a problem where every time I try to print I get an error and then the spoolsv.exe hangs the cpu at 99%. I have a home wireless network and utilize a print server and there is one other computer on the network. (That PC has the same problem) Both are Windows XP.

Aside from just ending the process so I can use my pc, I've tried...

Going to C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers to remove the 2 files which keep showing up: FP0000.SHD and FP00000.SPL. Problem is recreated at next attempt to print and comes back after reboot every time.

I've tried a microsoft sp update which didn't work. I've run eTrust, Ad Aware, and XP Repair Pro. None worked.

Please help!!!!

2. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

Those files are valid MS files. They are part of the Spool File Pooling feature in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP.

It can cause some conflicts with third party printer management programs.

Try turning the feature off and see if that works.

This link might help you...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815913

3. szngnp

szngnp Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I am aware this is a valid file, however it's behavior suggests either it's corrupt or something else is wrong. I followed the instructions at the link you provided and unfortunately it did not work. I forgot to mention I had also downloaded the latest drivers for my printer previously which also didn't work. When I end the spoolsv.exe I am unable to print (can no longer see any printers at all).

4. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

Since you've stated both PC's are having the issue... I am inclined to think its a problem with the Print Server you are using. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software for it? Or tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Printer on both PC's?

Might be able to help you more if you let me know the exact error message you get when trying to print.

5. szngnp

szngnp Member

I hadn't thought to do that... I need to figure out how with the print server - i'm not that familiar with it.

The error I get on print is just "The document failed to print" then the document name and time, etc. I have tried several different documents.

6. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

Could always try connecting the printer directly to the computer too... if you can print then you know the problem is with the print server or its configuration.