1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by totty68, Jul 2, 2007.

1. totty68

totty68 Regular member

Hi Peeps,,I Just Ran Spybot S&D And It Has Found 2 Problems/Entries
    (Microsoft.Windows.Security.Firewallopenports)
    I Have Googled But I Am None The Wiser,Should I Delete Them Or Be Worried ???

Cheers

2. Baabiouz

Baabiouz Regular member

Hi!

Here.

Do you use only Windows firewall?
    If yes, download one on these firewalls:

1) ZoneAlarm
    2) Agnitum
    3) Sunbelt/Kerio
    4) Comodo

If you are using the built-in Windows XP firewall, it is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a mediocre firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution. Remember to use only one firewall at the same time.

3. totty68

totty68 Regular member

thx 4 reply baabiouz,,but i am using zonealarm firewall and windows firewall is turned off

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  4. Baabiouz

Baabiouz Regular member

Okay, thats ok. :)
    Do you have any problems?

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I found this at the Safer Networking forum:

"Last September Spybot added a Windows Firewall open port detection (Microsoft.Windows.Security.FirewallOpenPorts). That detection was designed to detect Windows Firewall registry entries that open communication ports. That detection as well as the two new detections are designed to alert people to the fact that there may be weaknesses in their implementation of the Windows Firewall or that malware has altered the default settings within the Windows Firewall."

It appears it does not matter if your windows firewall is off. What matters is that the default settings of the windows firewall have been changed either by you or malware. From what I saw it is best to fix it and if it occurs again you know you have something changing it. But, here is the thread that best discusses it:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...993aac2&t=15170&highlight=firewall+open+ports

6. Dooby2oon

Dooby2oon Member

7. Dooby2oon

Dooby2oon Member