1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spyware : Chinese pop up keeps appearing - to www.u8u.com

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by marcuk03, Jul 5, 2007.

1. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

what fredil is saying might work but you never know how compromised your system is so you might be able to get rid of this piece of spyware but the only way to be 100% sure you are clean is by backing up your data formatting your hdd and reinstall windows, and fredil your if you download "suspicious stuff" like music, and etc from p2p to an external drive the files on your main drive are safe because the virus/spyware whatever can't jump over to your main drive, do some research before you start giving advice, start listening to leo laporte's podcasts on twit.tv and you will learn a lot the one's i listen to mainly are security now, the tech guy, and TWIT a.k.a This Week and Tech. I am not saying your method won't work but as I said you might get rid of this problem but you don't know what else he might have on his system there are spyware/viruses out there that some av's and anti-spyware programs won't even pick up even if you do keep them updated regularly.

2. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

marcuk03 it is up to you though I really wouldn't want to format a work laptop, especially with a lot of important documents etc but if you have system recovery disks, and a way to backup your data i would suggest doing so

3. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

oh marcuk03 don't use ie6 upgrade to ie7 ie6 is very dangerous because it runs active scripts, get Mozilla Firefox http://www.getfirefox.com then once you get firefox google no-script addon and install that it will block out scripts which and cause spyware and viruses + it takes off those google spam ads.

4. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

oh and if possible make another account for yourself as a limited user to do your browsing on this will also help keep some spyware off your system because spyware only has the power that the user has so if you were on a limited user and accidentally downloaded it it can't install itself because limited users can't install programs. Only use your admin account to install stuff.

5. marcuk03

marcuk03 Member

ALL FIXED AT LAST !!!

Fredil,

just wanted to finally say a big thank you for you help and patience on this matter as i have finally resolved with your help.
    . I just needed to wait for a pattern file update.

thanks again

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008