1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.srt files not being made available when MP4.H264 video played in Blu Ray Home Cinema.

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by garry mcvay, Jan 2, 2017.

1. garry mcvay

garry mcvay Member

Have a problem: .mp4 H264 videos and .srt files in a folder will not show subtitles in Smart TV when video and .srt folder is either burned to DVD disc and played thru the BluRay Home Cinema or loaded to a USB flash drive and then connected to the TV.
    Blu Ray DVD players will play mp4-H264 videos.
    The only way to get the subs to show is to connect the computer to TV via HDMI and open the subs in Computer/ VLC.
    So my question is what the dickens can be done to get the Home Theatre and/or the TV to recognize and show the subs?...or is that impossible?
    At present I am recoding the videos to DVD Video TS/ .vob / and ifo format using Freemake. I can add the .srt but they are hard coded permanently there. As yet I haven't burned to DVD disc or loaded to USB flash drive to try in the Home theatre or TV respectively.
    Also, problem with using Freemake to do the recode/add subs is that the subs are large onscreen of computer in VLC and there is no option to reduce the sub font size.
    I may try ConvertX2DVD to do the recoding/creation of a DVD5 containing 2-3 of the videos + subs and see how that goes.
    The home Entertainment equipment is good quality gear and I will list it here"

Philips Home Cinema HB3560/12 Blu Ray
    Philips 40PFL4508H/12 Smart TV ..3D plus.

So back to my question: why will this equipment not recognize .srt files yet will play the .H264/H265 video files???
    All replies welcomed as would advice on program that will do what I want.
    I am leaning toward the recode to DVD VTS format will do the job. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Garry

2. garry mcvay

garry mcvay Member

I found an app that does the job of adding .srt or SUB files to the MP4 H264 video files and it works perfectly, retaining 6 Channel sound and allows subs to be accessed and used or not used. The app creates a new .mkv file of the video and adds the sub file to it in less than a minute which is just great. I can do it in Convert X2DVD but that takes 1 hour minimum. I used the app to create the new .mkv with subs added file and then used that to create a DVD VTS folder using Convert X2DVD and it produced the required DVD output folder containing the Movie with subs and 6 channel audio.
    The app I used to create the .mkv file is MKVToolNix version 9.7.1. for Windows x64. Basically, it muxes the sub to the video file, does it fast and produces excellent video output.
    So, I am very happy with the outcome.

Thank you

Garry

3. movielover

movielover Newbie

The new version of Handbrake – the 64-bit build comes with a feature called soft subtitles. This ability allows users to add subtitles as a part of the movie with the option to turn the subtitle on and off. Something like DVD movie subtitles. Add soft subtitles to movies with Handbrake