1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stand alone DVD players that play .avi files??

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by faiz2k, Mar 24, 2004.

1. faiz2k

faiz2k Member

Can you buy a dvd player that will play a cd-r with an avi file on it? instead of encoding/converting to a dvdr etc....
    so effectively, i could download an avi file and burn it as "data" onto a cd-r and these dvd players would play it like Media player/winamp/divx/XVID player does.
    just wondered?

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

wouldnt it be great if it was that simple??

but in short to ur question, no

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

on the other hand, there is a dvd player that support divx video, one is one from kiss technology. go to divx.com. and there is one from a manufacturer in singapore.

and there is the modded xbox and PS2 can play them too using PS2 reality.

do a search on this site with "PS2 divx"

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

im sure you wouldnt be able to just burn it as a data disc and bam it works, if that were so there would have to be restrictions on resolution, fps and so on, but hey dont get me wrong, if its as simple as all that, well that would be very cool

5. Vegasguy

Vegasguy Member

Hi,

Actually I know someone that has a KISS Player, he says it works great, just burn the Avi as a data disc.

I am thinking about buying one,

6. faiz2k

faiz2k Member

ive heard that XVID rips are not comaptible but DIVX rips are. This will defeat the purpose of getting one coz DIVX in comparison to XVID is just really lame.DO u know anything about the players compatibilty with codecs and can it still play normal DVD's?

7. faiz2k

faiz2k Member

update: thanks for the divx.com site. All i need to know about it is right there in the hardware section.
    For those that cant find it here are some details reguarding the player:
    KiSS DP-500 DVD Player
    Category: Hardware
    By: KiSS
    Price: 299.99US

Superior Compatibility
    Supports full DVD/MPEG-4/DivX/XviD/VCD/SVCD/CD/MP3/Ogg Vorbis/CD-RW/DVD-RW compatibility

http://www.divx.com/hardware/detail.php?id=55

8. faiz2k

faiz2k Member

9. moggsy

moggsy Member

Just to let you know that I've had the Yamada 6100 about a week or so and it's the dog's doo-dahs and produces top-notch quaity a picture!!
    Got it for £70(GBP) from EBuyer and it's superb, played everything I've thrown at it...Divx,Xvid,mpegs,cool jpeg slide shows with selectable transitions etc etc!
    Depending on the length/quality of the movies I'm burning, I seem to average about 4/5 movies per DVDR.
    Things don't get much easier than this....DL the film off the net, wait till I've got 4 or 5 of the same genre; ie.Action,Drama or whatever, then just burn 'em to the DVDR as data!
    There is a newer version out - the 6600 - but I just went for the 6100 as it had everything for my needs and had brilliant reviews off the customers that had bought it......

10. sajjio

sajjio Member

I will second that!!! ive had the yamada 6100 for about a month and it plays 99% of files...those that dont work first time, just use virtual dub to reencode!!!

Buy it from ebuyer! or you can get the 6600 for £65!!

for full reviews etc...visit this site.....
    www.my-yamada.co.uk

This is the best player out!

11. Galactic

Galactic Regular member

There's many dvd-players that support divx/xvid, and the best players are: Elta 8883, Rimax Mpeg-4 Multiplayer and already mentioned Dvx-6600.
    It's somehow funny, that here in english forum is known so slightly about Divx players, when finnish forum have so much discuss about them.

12. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

well now their just making it to easy for us

burning an avi as a data cd-r, lol it doesnt get any simplier than

quick question for you mpeg-4 dvd-player owners, is there any quality loss(which there shouldnt be cause theres no encoding involved) from the original divx/xvid file to dvdplayer that you noticed??

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Young man......Young man......You Just Got Knocked the Fucked Out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
  13. Galactic

Galactic Regular member

No, divx/xvid files' quality is even BETTER when watching with divx-dvd-player.

14. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

i c, looks like i'll have to invest in 1

cheers m8

15. buxton

buxton Regular member

The KISS player plays DivX and Xvid direct from a CD as a Data file. There is also a Daewoo one that is quite good.

When you take the top off all that is inside is a standard DVD ROM, same as a PC connected to a decoder card with a standard IDE ribbon. Thats why it can read the data straight from the DVD or CD.

They are cool actually. For example you can burn multiple Xvid or DivX to a blank DVD as data, so that will be at least four films, and then from the menu you can choose which one to play. Also if you dump the IDE ribbon and put a PC one in there you can slave a Hard Disk into it (The latest ones actually have a 40Gb Hard Disk in them I think) and then you can put however many films on the hard Disk as it can take and select them from the menu.

They also have a NIC in them so you can network to your PC and upload to the KISS player from the PC via Ethernet.

Kiss DP-508 DIVXV4+/MPEG4/VCD/SVCD/MP3/DVD+-RW with 80Gb HDD £264.38 you will have to convert the currency.

It doesn't say Xvid but I am 99% sure I have had Xvid playing on one of the older models.

Someone asked about standard DVD's. They will play back DVD-R and DVD+R/ Purchased DVD's are the only problem, multiregion requires a patch to the firmware and it is unsupported by KISS. And I (we) have killed several updating the firmware.

Galactic - "It's somehow funny, that here in english forum is known so slightly about Divx players, when finnish forum have so much discuss about them."

I think KISS is a Scandinavian company, the guy that came to us representing them was from your neck of the woods, it may have been Norway.

Anything I have missed? Just ask.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  16. PlymWS

PlymWS Guest

17. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

350 bucks(AU currency), what a joke, no shite i laughed when i saw the price tag of the latest kiss player

i'd rather waste my time re-encoding than waste my money

EDIT:. i'm still cacking myself, the dp-508 is more like $400 in (AU) currency, theve got to be yanking my crank =p
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Young man......Young man......You Just Got Knocked the Fucked Out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
  18. buxton

buxton Regular member

Indeed : ) that's why I got a DVD Burner and learned how to convert DivX.

19. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yeah i'd rather buy a dvd-burner for that much

they would have to be under $250 for me to consider buying 1, and i do mean consider (im talkin a dvd-player that does everything cept make you a cuppa coffee) but $400 is just daylight friggin robbery

with prices like that, the novelty will wear off very very soon, yeah you dont have to re-encode and you can fit a whole movie on a cd-r(even more on a dvd-r) but seriously the price tag is one of the biggest cons ive seen in a while

lol damn dannish swindlers =p

20. moggsy

moggsy Member

This has gotta be one of the first recorded occasions in history, where things are actually cheaper over here in the UK than elsewhere in the world!!!
    I don't blame you not paying 3-400 dollars for a divx player - who the hell does? - the 'ONLY' reason I've got one now, is that the new chipset that the Yamada/Umax players use have enabled the price to be slashed to something reasonable...70quid equates to 130 (US)bucks at the mo....and it's made everything soooo much easier for yours truly!
    Hopefully, as you say,common sense will prevail with the manufacturers where you are, and they'll start to bring the price down to a realistic level for ya.
    Cheers all