1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stand alone DVD players that play .avi files??

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by faiz2k, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

[bold]Hopefully, as you say,common sense will prevail with the manufacturers where you are, and they'll start to bring the price down to a realistic level for ya.[/bold]

i wont be holding my breathe =/

2. afrisch

afrisch Member

Hi Kids,

Here's a message I posted on a seperate thread which I think will add some positive input to this disucussion. The DVD Player I'm refering to is RJ Tech's RJ4000. You can find it and a variety of other similar DVD players with DivX (and other media file) playback available on eBay for less than $200. I got mine for only $90!

First Impressions:

I just received my RJ4000 yesterday after paying a paltry $90 on eBay. Overall, I'm impressed by the player's capabilities and performance. The sheer number of file types this machine is capable of handling is extraordinary. However, I have also noticed a few faults which I'll delineate in more detail promptly. Check out my initial review and then come back tomorrow for my follow-up statements.

1. Set up/Installation - No problems! The necessary cables are included in the box, and the illustrated manual did a good job of explaining how to get everything up and running.

2. Hardware - On the one hand, the player and the remote both seem to be rather cheaply made. But on the OTHER hand, this is the lightest player I've ever used--which is a good thing when you have to move it around and pack it up. I read the review by mrxonix included in this forum and will refer to many of the criticisms he points out. The first is concerning the remote control. The big red button Mr. X refers to is clearly labeled "Open", so I'm not sure about why he was so baffled by this feature. I agree that it would be nice be able to power down from the remote, however I've used at least 4 other DVD players previously and they ALL required the user to get off of his or her bottom and press a button on the box to completely shut down. C'est la vi! I think it's fantastic that RJ Tech included TWO jacks for microphones since one of the machine's uses is karaoke. Duets are SO much more fun than solos! FYI: Karaoke DVDs are about a dime a dozen at your local music store now, and a decent mike can be picked up for less than $20.

3. Playback

A. DVD - Nothing much to report here except that I too noticed "Moire" patterns at certain points during DVD playback. Last night I only used the A/V cables and have not attempted to use the S-video output which should result in a better picture. I'll let you know what happens.

B. DivX - AH! Here's the big question... I previewed about 50 movies of various lengths and sizes last night. So far my experience using video file playback has been VERY positive! The directory may be confusing to newbies at first, however it's precisely the same as the one used in every Apex DVD player for maneuvering around CD-R data discs. My advice is to READ THE MANUAL and do not treat DivX (and other media files) as casually as you treat DVD movies. I'll give you some practical tips at the end of this review so that you won't have to go through the same frustrations as some of the users on this forum. The "short coma" refered to by Mr. X is no more than ten seconds and (again) is quite standard when a DVD player is attempting to read computer generated files! Anyway, how long does it take to get to the actual movie on a DVD in most cases? Upward of thirty seconds!! Think about it... As far as compatability goes, so far so good! Without any fiddling around with my files whatsoever, AT LEAST 90% of my video files (including .AVI, .divx, .mpg, and others) worked beautifully! I will report on why the other %10 didn't work as soon as I'm able to check them out. One thing that should be understood before viewing a DivX file is that the picture and sound will ONLY be as good as the specs of the individual file. Don't expect DVD quality and surround sound from a two hour movie that's only 100MB in size! Again, I'll let you know more specifics when I have them. Two other things worthy of note: 1) This player was able to access files from absolutely HORRIBLY scratched CDs which my computer was unable to get to! 2) Subtitles worked on every movie I tried with only one exception (which, incidentally, I don't think is the player's fault).

4. Technical Support - One word: Fuggetaboutit!! Although their corporate offices may be on the West Coast of the United States, I can tell just by glancing at their website that RJ Tech is a group of Asian folks who speak very little English. If you are like me and have bought other merchandise from importers than you know that (in general) Tech Support and Customer Service is NOT their strong point. I don't understand why RJ Tech's website has a link to a firmware update for the RJ4000 but no file attached. Not cool, but for less than a hundred bucks, what do you expect?

*Tips:

A couple of handy tips for playing multimedia files on this or any other DVD player:

1. Don't be in a hurry. If you press a bunch of buttons in impatience, the player WILL freeze up on you. THIS IS STANDARD for using both music AND video files. Remember, DivX playback is a relatively new technology so expect some performance difficulties!

2. Don't be afraid to experiment. If a file doesn't work at first but SHOULD, try burning it at a slower rate and/or using better quality media.

In general DVD media will work better than CD-R/RW.

Also, CD-Rs work immeasurable better than CD-RWs! Not sure why, but it has ALWAYS been this way!

Lastly, burning onto CDs and DVDs designed by respectable companies like Sony etc. will produce far better results than CDs made by Tinker Technologies and other generic brands. Always remember: you get what you pay for!!

That's all for now... More to follow mañana!

P.S. Please email me at allenfrisch@hotmail.com with your thoughts. Peace out!

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

4. Frankie15

Frankie15 Guest

Another player that plays DivX is the Philips DVD737. I have one of these and it plays perfect...

5. Vegasguy

Vegasguy Member

Hi,

About a month ago, I bought the RiTech RJ-1500 model.

It plays XVID and DIVX files fine, I have had no problems with it, I payed $165 for it, best money I spented on a DVD player.

Here is a quote from a website:

I can burn a XVID file onto a CD and then looped the DIVX player through my Panasonic E30, and record a DVD of the movie.

http://www.videos2dvd.com/rj4000.html

Last edited: May 19, 2004