1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stand alone dvd recorder recomendations for a newby

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by batman15, Feb 18, 2005.

1. batman15

batman15 Member

I am desperatly wanting to purchase a new standalone dvd recorder. I have been searching nonstop trying to find a good quality recorder that meets all my desires but can't seem to find something in my price range that has everything I want. Here is what I am looking for and if you can suggest something please let me know.

Harddrive of at least 80gb
    The ability to repeat record...set the timer for Wed at 9 and it will record every wed at 9
    Useable with cable or satalite (IR remote changer would be nice too)
    Ability to edit out comercials and label
    Progressive scan.

It would be nice to have other features like the ability to record from disk to harddrive and some kind of channel guide but that is not so important as the above.

If anyone can suggest a unit within the $400 range I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2. batman15

batman15 Member

no one has any suggestions huh.

3. batman15

batman15 Member

well this has been fun, thank you all for your help.

4. Raised

Raised Member

Hi:
    I thought I would jump in and settle your nerves as to there not being a recommendation. After suffering inumerable problems with my recorder and reading posts in 4 forums for 2 months, I have come to the conclusion that there is not one unit made today that will give you 100% satisfaction. They all have bugs and malfunctions that would make you pull out your hair. So, to relieve your frustrations as to why no one would answere, is that there is no reliable unit and nobody wants to give you a recommendation for a piece of crap.

5. SpudNuts

SpudNuts Member

I have to be honest, I love my ILO DVDRHD04.

80 gig drive
    Records to DVD+R/RW
    Reads just about anything
    Timer just like a VCR
    Won't channel skip but you can edit by placing chapter markings.
    Has 4 inputs, Coax, S-Video, Front RCA, and 1 ILink on the front.
    Has Optical audio out
    Firmware upgradable
    there's more but the best part is it's cheap and at Walmart (I was shocked but Walmart scares me when it comes to electronics). I've heard that it's made by Sony exclusively for Walmart.
    One recommendation if you go with this one, as soon as you get it home, do a firmware upgrade. Alot of bugs have been corrected.

I have no complaints about mine, recorded a program from hard drive to DVD in about 20 minutes.

6. tgotti

tgotti Member

So that one chapter? so say i ercord 25 music videos, i can chapter each of them?
    Thanks for your help

7. lpk

lpk Guest

I bought a Ilo DVDR05 recorder from Wal_Mart about a week ago.
    You can hook it up almost anyway you like to different sources of signal. I have tried all speeds it will record 8 hours on one dvd and the picture is as good as the tape from my vcr. I have tried everything that I can try with the machine and it as done everything just fine. using Verbatim DVD+rw disk.
    I have also played dvd's recorded on other stand alone recorders and on my computer, also music cd's recorded on my computer with 32 songs on one disk.
    I have recorded tv shows with the tuner in the Ilo and so for everthing I have tried has worked. Have not recorded a DVD+r yet. all of the recordings I have made with the Ilo has played back on my other dvd player and my computer with no problems.
    I have only had it a week and am really putting it through it's paces because I had another recorder that worked about 2 weeks and the everything went bad.
    I am going to try this one as much as I can while I still have the right to return to Wal-Mart within 90 day's
    best of luck to you, because from what I read buying any dvd recorder at this time is a shoot in the dark.
    Luther

8. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

SpudNits ---lpk

Gezz am I glad you two like and speak highly of the ilo DVDRHD04.
    I was begining to think that maybe I was one of a few that did. I also have the RHD04.
    Go to Guitarman site www.ss3f.com/ilo and get the latesst firmware and hack. he has instructions at that site
    In my opinion the ilo is one good machine
    IlO is a Wal Mart brand. The 04 series is made by LiteOn and can be hacked. The 05 is made by Cyberhome and can't be hacked. If the ilo was made by Sony I would not touch it with any size pole. Don't push the unit let it do its thing. The remote is sensitive and too long or repeated button presses can cause proplems. Let the unit finish a function before continuing. Let us/me know how you make out