1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stand alone player wont play DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ZOS, Mar 5, 2005.

1. ZOS

ZOS Member

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with my stand-alone player in that it doesn't want to play any DVD I write. With some of the DVDs it merely says BAD DISC and with others it shows that it is reading but the screen is blank, it does show that the DVD encoding is MPEG2 however. I've reduced the writing speed to 4x and still the problem persists, I've tried writing in PAL and NTSE, but still nothing. When I write VCD it's fine, but the player doesn't support SVCD, could that be the problem? Is there a way to write a DVD that it can play? How is it that it can play any commercial DVD but not one that I write, is it the encoding or what? I'm using Nero 6 and have tried using several different DVD brands, I have also scanned some of the disks using the Nero utility and they check out fine except for one that I wrote at maximum speed. Another question would be that if my stand-alone is a bit old (bought it six month ago Sansui) how can I write DVDs for older players?

Thanx in advance for anyone who answers.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Have you tried your burnt dvds in someone elses player? You probably have compatibilty issues with your standalone.

3. ZOS

ZOS Member

Thanks for the quick reply,
    to answer you question, yes, I tried on 4 players excluding my own, only one of them could play the DVD. Is there a way for me to write a dvd that older models can play? My stand-alone can play any commercial DVD but why not the ones I write, how can I write a DVD the same way as a commercial (rented or bought) DVD? It's making me crazy I must admit, can I write a DVD with MPEG1 encoding as my player can play VCDs?

Thanx for the reply

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

What media are you using? Also is it -+ R/RW? Most older DVD players don't like +R/RW. Do the burned discs at least play on your computer? I agree w/ Pulsar - compatability issue. I would suggest Taiyo Yudens -R's.

5. ZOS

ZOS Member

Hey Binkie,

Currently I use TDK DVD-R. They work on my pc, but then again DVDs that work on my stand-alone player dont seem to work on my pc. Windows just says "insert disc". I'll Defenitly see if I can find Taiyo Yudens-R.

Thanx for the rep

6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Try Supermediastore.com or Rima.com for the TY's.
    Just an FYI - my TY's burned at 8x or 12x have been played on many different DVD's players -old and new - no one has had any problems.

7. ZOS

ZOS Member

Don't know those stores, living is South Africa, but will see where I can find them and let you know how it goes. Thanx

8. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I would look for anything made in japan.

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Sounds like a media issue too. I would try a few different types of media & stick with what works. Get RW media, cuts down on coasters! Be warned, however, nothing is really guaranteed in the burning department & you may have to be patient!

10. ZOS

ZOS Member

I phoned around and a friend had 2 TYs that he brought back from Britain last month, I tried one and it worked fine, very quick too, but it still didn't want to play on my stand-alone. Then I spoke to another guy who's into this stuff and he told me it could possibly be the BOOK-TYPE, he explained that every DVD has a tag which identifies it as lets say DVD-R or DVD+R. According to him some older players can only read DVD-ROM. He suggested that I download a BOOK MANAGER prog from my drives' manufacturer. I did that and tried it, it seems he has something, all the commercial DVDs that I put in my writer show as DVD-ROM and all the other DVDs show as DVD-R, tried to change the BOOK-TYPE with the program but it didn't work, I think the DVDs were closed after writing. If you guys think it could be something I'll start a new thread to discuss it.

Thanx to all of you for the replies.