1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standalone compatability depends on burning app

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Yuriv, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Just to share some experience with other users, I have recently gone through the hassle of trying to get a new standalone to accept DVD-R backups.

The players: an LG DA-3530, an older LG, and a JVC (sorry, I'm at work so I can't get the model numbers on the last two).

Media: I tried using Pioneer 1~4x (spotty performance), Imation 2x (terrible performance), and Saehan 1x (excellent performance).

The burner: An LG GMA-4020B 2x combo drive.

The burning apps:
    Nero: No joy on any of the three players either when burning via the wizard or via ScottVF's method ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40063 ).

CopytoDVD: Great program when used in combo with DVD2One, and definitely the simplest to use. However, while resulting DVD-Rs worked on the older LG and the JVC, they were not liked by the DA-3530 (even with UDF 1.02 checked).

RecordNowMAx: Perfect compatability on all three machines - based on my experience this is the universal burning app. Follow the guide available at: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm (thanks for the tip and the great guide Oriphus).

Not a very scientific test, I grant, but hopefully others that are having similar trouble can go straight to RecordNowMax and save a lot of frustration.

Now I just have to decide what to do about the 20-or-so DVD-Rs that I burned with other apps and won't work in my primary player!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Good results......

I use recnowmax all the time now and get 100% compatibility....

Regarding your nero tests - for use on the LG standalones try using JUST the UDF ROM option - I think you will find a result there.....

However, in agreement with recnowmax - superb....

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually, it was BaaBaa that wrote that guide :)

It is very good and got me using the program too. Well done BaaBaa, i think you will all agree!

Sorry for embarrasing you lol

4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Well thanks to baabaa also...I'm cruising along thanks to you guys!

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Another thread on bad Nero & good RecordNow

great !! : )

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Aren't these the best threads?? lol ;-)

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Not embaaaaaaaaaaaaaarassed at all LOL....

Nice to see, it is coming to some good use....

Wouldlike to see some critisisms on the guide or problems encountered - feedback will be very welcomed....

Oriphus - what about a feedback listing on the site?????? (just to blow our own trumpets..LOL)

Herbsman - have you been converted yet - or are you still nero'd.......

I hear the new nero is supposed to be a blinder - anyone else......

Anyway - good effort all round.....cheers for the grats...

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Sorry to bump such and old thread, but it's kinda what I was looking to ask......

Yuriv, have you used 4X media in your 4020 burner? The reason I ask is I've never tried, and I seem to recall somewhere that 4X media doesn't work well in a 2X drive. Or am I just smoking the bad crack again?

My local store has put 4X media (Promedia) on for $80 CDN for a 50 pack. That's only $1.60 per disc (£0.72)

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Ken0042

I know you are asking yuriv....

I have a pioneer a03 (yes it is not the LG)

I have the firmware flashed, enables to burn upto max of 2x.

However ALL the media I use - ritek unbranded go4 dye AND traxdata go4 dye are all 4x media and burn perfectly with no flaws at 2x.....

I know it does not answer your question in relation to the LG4020, but thought that I would add it.....cheers

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Thanks baabaa!

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've not tried the G04's myself baabaa m8 , so on that recommendation I will give 'em a go seeing as I virtually have the same drive as you...Pioneer 104

I've been using G03's quite successfully on the last 100 disc but they are harder to find now , Chris (Oriphus) had suggested them a little while back

laters Ken , baabaa

[my Sony DVP-NS305 stand alone definitely plays G04's perfectly btw]

P.S. Still road testing Nero 6.0.0.15 & Nero Vision Express 2.0.0.22 , will let ppl know if interested

12. koola

koola Guest

Hi all, interesting tread.

Let us know the results from his Herbs if you would. Would you also be interested in testing Nero Vision Express 2.0.0.22 for AVI to DVD (probs a guide) plz.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2003