1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

star ocean 3 flip top problem

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by dogfud400, Sep 7, 2004.

1. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

im using the flip top and swap magic disks with the cogswap and some crazy stuff keeps happening to me. first of all, the game only correctly loads about 20% of the time (this is getting past the game set-up and actually getting to start the game). then, whenever i get to the first battle simulator the game freezes while "loading from disk" or it zooms in forever just before the fight is loaded. any thoughts??? please let me know

2. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

what are you using for the toc swap?

3. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

im not sure what you mean by the toc swap.. sounds like this may be where my problem is

4. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

what exactly are you doing to boot your games, give as much info as poss'

5. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

alright.. i use the cd loader.. then the cogswap... then the dvd loader.. then star ocean 3. sometimes it only lets me set up the game and goes to a black screen after that and sometimes it loads the first cutscene. then, once i start a battle simulation in the hotel it always freezes.

6. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

ahh right, when you say the cog swap, you mean you use a slide card or knife, not the cog swap exploit,

and when you say cdloader, do you mean swqp magic cd?, because I don't know of ant boot method just using cdloader, as it is a cd-r

if you follow the link in my sig' you will find instructions on using the cogswap, if you are using swap magic then you need to post again and let us know

7. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

heres what i do
    step 1: insert swap magic cdloader
    step 2: open flip top and insert the cogswap cd
    step 3: open tray and insert swap magic dvd, then hit x
    step 4: open flip top and insert star ocean disk 1
    always leads to failure like i described above...
    i tried to use the memory card exploit but it always loads the psx game...

8. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

ok a few things first,

swap magic and cdloader are two different things,
    cogswap is a method of swapping discs, not a disc in itself, other than when it is on disc as an exploit that you load to your mem card,
    you have to understand this before you go any further, and explain what you are actually using, as it is difficult to help you without knowing exactly what you are using,

so write what you are doing again, but use the proper names for the discs you are using, and we might get somewhere

9. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

step one: insert swap magic cd version 2.0 USA build
    step two: open flip top and remove swap magic cd version 2.0 and insert cd with image of the cogswap program burned on it
    step 3: press the "x" button on ps2 contoller
    step 4: open drive and remove cd with burned imgage of cogswap program and insert swap magic dvd loader version 2.0 USA build
    step 5: open flip top case and remove swap magic dvd version and insert Star Ocean disk one

i tried using the memory card exploit but had problems with that as well... if i have to use the exploit then i suppose thats my problem.. could you list exact directions for how to do the exploit.. the information on swapmagicfix.com didnt work for me

10. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

basically.. all i need to know is how to make star ocean work with a flip top ps2...

11. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

at step 2 when you say you insert disc with the cogswap image on it, unless you actually mean cdloader then that is your problem, you need to use cdloader with swap magic cd, and dvdloader with swap magic dvd, try doing it the way you have been but using cd ordvdloader

12. dogfud400

dogfud400 Member

i have downloaded and burned the images of the different versions of cd loader.. i havent seen any "dvdloader" images. are you saying to use the cdloader to boot the swap magic dvd version? or is there some dvdloader that i need to get?

thanks for the replies... sorry its been difficult

13. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

do you have aim or msn?, if you do pm me and give me your name for either

14. antiklaus

antiklaus Member

I have exactly the same problem trying to boot my backup copy of StarOcean 3.

I am using the fliptop on a v4 system.

I have tried with and without dvdloader.

I can get the game to load 100% up to the battle system without any errors, but when I initiate the training combat sequence in the hotel, the game goes to a sloooooooooooow zoom on the screen, and eventually after about 5 minutes, goes to black.

Any help would be very appreciated.

FYI - I'm fairly certain my DVD copy is good. I made another one with different software and a slower speed and it did literally the same thing exactly.

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The TOC of Star Ocean 3 is unusually large to the point that I believe that Swap Magic can't handle it. You have to do a TOC refresh with a an original game disc that has a larger TOC than Star Ocean 3, however, I believe Star Ocean 3 is now the largest game to date (DVD9 games don't count).

16. naruto9

naruto9 Guest

Why can't you use a dvd9 for a TOC refresh?
    -Such as Champions of Norath for xample

17. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Because the 2nd layer is not included in the TOC. Put it into your PC's DVD drive and check the size your operating system recognizes the disc as. That is the size of the TOC of the disc. It must be larger than that of Star Ocean 3 in order to use it as a TOC refresh disc for purposes of booting a backup of Star Ocean 3. Another example is the TOC for Xenosaga is somewhere just over 4Gigs even though the game is actually 8.something.

18. naruto9

naruto9 Guest

In that case you could use Star Ocean/DMCry to boot
    Xenosaga.(both have a "larger" TOC
    I think the Ps2 checks the full disc -both layers
    when booting to check TOC

19. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Nope, the PS2 can't read dual-layer discs properly. That's why DVD movie playback is such a problem on older PS2's. The fix was to just make the PS2 think it was reading a normal disc.

20. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Games like Xenosaga containg custom disc access routines to read the second layer. Seems like the game checks for the second layer and that's why booting with the swap method fails.