1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek. Anybody else like it?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by 64026402, Aug 8, 2004.

1. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I like the original Star Trek and learned to enjoy all the Star Trek series. Even Star Trek Enterprise has been OK but not my favorite.

I have found great escape in this kind of science fiction.
    Anyone else?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I like them all including the original, I got addicted to late night Deep space 9. You could tell it had a lower budget than Next Generation but it had a flavor. You're right however how can you beat capatin Kirk and Spoc.

3. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Yes, I had the same thing for Deep space 9 late on sundays here. That was when UPN had a problem keeping a staion in Kansas City. 29 and 38 would bounce them around.

The DS9 characters seem to devlelope well over time and the stories were substantial quite often.

I remember Cisco popping in on his son periodically as he was growing up because of and accident in engineering.
    It took some work for it not to be sappy but they pulled it off and it ended up being one of my favorites.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I've been a huge fan of the original for as long as I can remember. The earliest TV shows I can remember watching with my dad when I was 4 years old were Kolchak The Night Stalker (now there's a show very few people remember) and Star Trek. I really liked a small minority of TNG, although the rest seemed like lectures on Gene Roddenberry's view of a Utopian society. Deep Space 9 got pretty good by the end of the first season (plus Avery Brooks is a great actor) and I liked the ongoing story lines. I tried watching Voyager for the first few episodes, but stopped watching until I happened to catch a couple of episodes with 7 of 9. Besides her and the doctor I pretty much thought every character on the show deserved to be slapped just about every time they opened their mouths. All I could think was "Who put these people in charge of a starship and how did Starfleet ever survive with them running the show". Enterprise has had its ups and downs, but aside from the horrible theme song it's not a bad show.

The movies have been a mixed bag for me. I saw the first one in the theatre as a kid and loved it, but I'm not nearly as impressed with it now. Mostly I find it interesting to see some of the characters from TNG in their earlier incarnations (Ilea=Troy, Decker=Riker). I saw Star Trek II at a drive in, and it's still my favorite. The Special Edition DVD is even better since you get to hear Nicholas Meyer explain how he got the performance he wanted from William Shatner. Star Trek III was pretty good. Star Trek IV was just silly, and the fifth one I've tried to block out of my mind for years so I won't go into what I think of it. Star Trek VI was a big improvement. Not as good as the second, but probably better than the other original cast movies.

I haven't liked the Next Generation movies as well. Generations seemed like a standard episode of the show, and I've never been sorry I missed it in the theatre. First Contact was great. It reminded me of Wrath of Khan in some ways because it tried to be a good movie instead of just a good Star Trek movie. Insurrection was interesting, but almost didn't seem like Star Trek at all. I thought Nemesis was a steaming pile of dung, with the most transparent plot and contrived situations I've seen in a long time.

As you can probably tell I'm a little bit of a Star Trek geek ;-)

Actually my current favorite for sci-fi is Farscape. I didn't have the SciFi channel when the show started, so I didn't really start watching until it was cancelled and showed up on their late night lineup. So far I have the entire first season and half of the second on DVD, and I'm looking forward to the mini-series coming up this fall.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I generally agree on the best and worst of the movies.
    I like them all just because I'm starving for Star Trek anything by the time they come out but no doubt The Wrath of Kahn was the best of the bunch.
    V was the one Shatner directed and my least favorite.

I can still watch the old series. I watched them originally with my dad. I also remember Night Stalker.
    Now I feel old.

All the newer shows started weak but by season 3 they would come around pretty well.

What difficulties have you had backing up the DVDs if any. I'll be starting to run backups on them soon. I have been trying 2 movies a night but I have a spare machine running in case of failure of the other 2. I can do 3 if time permits.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald

[​IMG][/small]

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I used to watch farscape but kinda lost track.
    I'll likely need the DVDs just to catch up.
    I liked it but I don't always control the TV.

On an unrelated note, did the spinning space station with shuttles scene in Armageddon bother anybody else. Happyuser physics were taking place.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald

[​IMG][/small]

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm working on a post about encoding Star Trek DVDs in the Improving DVD-RB Encodes thread. Stop by a little later and bring a notepad. It's a long post (even for me) ;-)

Edit: It's posted now. Bring your reading glasses and a comfy chair. It's even longer than I expected.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88939
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

8. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

Hi,
    Nah I don't like Star Trek or Star Wars, I don't know why :S. Meh...

Regards,
    DiRect

9. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

god damn trekkies lol

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm a god damn trekkie and proud.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I always wanted a pair of those cool black boots they wore in the original series :)

12. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Star Trek seems largly for a different generation. I don't see many younger people that like it around here. I find Star Trek in general more intelligent than modern Sci-Fi.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[bold]I always wanted a pair of those cool black boots they wore in the original series :)[/bold]

I couldn't take my eyes off the "beam me up Scottie" communicators. I think I bought my most recent cell phone out of that memory.