1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Voyager

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by vadvdguy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. vadvdguy

vadvdguy Member

For the first time since I started ripping DVDs a few months ago, I've encountered an error that I can't seem to get around. I've been ripping/burning seasons of Star Trek Voyager lately, but season 4/5/6/7 Vols 7 each give me an encryption error. Disks 1-6 of those seasons rip/burn normally, but I can't rip volume seven regardless of what I do. I'm using the latest DVDShrink to rip the DVD.

Has anyone run into this problem before, and would you have any suggestions of what I might do to get around the encrypted sector that is holding up the process?

2. madgreek

madgreek Guest

I have burned this disk...all of the ds9's and tng. No issues. Clean the disk off is there any scratches?

3. vadvdguy

vadvdguy Member

Well the specific error I'm getting is:

DVD Shrink Encountered and Error and can not continue.
    Faile to read file 'D:\'
    Copy Protection Error: The read failed because the sector is encrypted.

This happens when DVD Shrink attemps it's initial scan of the disk. Gets all the way out to 94% and gives up this error.

4. vadvdguy

vadvdguy Member

Anyone?

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD?

6. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Newer dvds have newer encryptions that prevent a dvd from being ripped with good quality. As binkie7 suggested, rip the dvd using dvd decrypter (it's free) and then load it onto dvd shrink and compress it. You may need AnyDVD to bypass the protections/encryptions in order to rip. It's not free, but it is definitely needed if decrypter rips the movie, but the movie quality is compromised.

AnyDVD: http://slysoft.com
    DVD Decrypter: http://dvddecrypter.com

Keep in mind that DVD Shrink is no longer being updated. The last version should be 3.2 The author now works with Nero. If you've used Nero Recode 2, you may have noticed that it's really similar to DVD Shrink.

7. wild77

wild77 Guest

Where did you get that from?

I have ripped a lot of these newer movies using only Decrypter with no loss of quality.

8. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

That's not what I stated exactly, you took it incorrectly out of context.

Sure, you can rip the movie using decrypter, but if there is a new encryption or a new form of bad sector being introduced...then AnyDVD might come in handy since it updates on a regualr basis...

I also did state you [bold]may[/bold] need AnyDVD along with decrypter. Decrypter could rip the movie, but if the movie is distorted/pixelated? Then it didn't remove the bad sectors/bypass the css encryptions correctly.

I mean, it all depends if you think DVD Decrypter is all you need, then by all means, then don't use AnyDVD. Some people may or may not need to use it.

9. wild77

wild77 Guest

Where did you get this info?

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

AnyDVD just works in the background and makes dvd look like it encryption free, it has nothing to do with files, distortion, pixelation.

11. vadvdguy

vadvdguy Member

I know it's been a while since I visited this thread, but I was hoping to get some additional information. This disk, and others I've run into on various occasions seem to be just a little too large to burn to DVD once I encode them to my hard drive. Voyager S07 V 07 is about 50xx mb, which is way too large to burn to DVD.

I apologize for asking what is probably a silly question, but I know very little about video files in general, although I'm attempting to learn as quickly as I can. In the meantime can someone go over what steps I should take with disks like this?

12. binkie7

vadvdguy
    Is that 50xxmb after you ran it through shrink? If the file size is 5000 mb that equates to 4.88 gb. A DVD holds 4.38 gb. You can run it through Shrink again to compress it to fit or if you have Nero use Recode. If this movie has several audios especially foreign languages remove them and you may not need any further compression.

13. vadvdguy

vadvdguy Member

See. that's what I don't understand. For instance, I'm working on Poison Ivy (for the GF honest!!) right now. I'm running AnyDVD, so there are no encrytion problems to deal with. I figure if the files fit on the commercial DVD, one would think directly disk copying would work right? Well it doesn't. Normally I use DVDShrink to rip the DVD, then use CloneDVD to burn it, but right now I'm using the latest Nero.

Data to be Written: 7,554 MB
    Space Available on Disk: 5,120 MB

Ideally what I'm looking for is to preserve the menus and everything, and I know that I can reauthor using DVDShrink to get just the movie. But is there anyway to directly rip the DVD to an ISO so that it can burn, preserving all the menus, etc? Obviously the studio crammed all that data onto the disk.... so how do I do it?

14. binkie7

vadvdguy
    Shrink will compress that movie to fit on a DVD5 - just use the full disc backup option. Nero Recode is very similar but Nero automatically removes (unchecks) the foreign languages and subtitles. Since you have Nero Shrink will automatically burn.
    Check out this guide to help you along the way with Shrink:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/dvdshrink.html
    Commerical DVD's are DVD9 - dual layer - so they hold more info. While these are on the market for consumers they run about $5+ a piece.