1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star veiw box keeps freezing...

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by chalkyuk, Oct 14, 2007.

1. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Howdy chaps

I?m have a problem with my Sta*view box.
    I came home to find my electric meter had conked. (Not sure whether this would course my box to start messing up) so after getting some credit and restoring the electricity supple I turn the TV on... To find myself encountered with the problem of my sta*view box playing up...

The symptoms are

It is freezing the picture on a station. And then turning its self off and back on, to the station it was on for about 10 seconds then repeats the procedure. 3 times then just totally freezes on the channel

So far I have turned it off at the wall. Left it off for 5 mins then turned it back on but once again its just freezing and turns its self off and back on repeatedly about every 10 seconds then again just locks up Also the little channel number display on the box itself is not displaying numbers sometimes and when it is it just has 0 in it.

I have reinstalled the N*L codes which has made no difference still has the problem.

After further investigation whilst writing this. I have discovered that when I press menu and go into the installation section. Where it has cable network and should say N*L. it has TW. I have changed it to N*L exited. Found I still have the problem, waited for it to restart then clicked menu again went to the installation section and once again its displaying TW for some reason its not keeping N*L as the cable network. I think this is where my problem may lie?

Also when I turn it to the radio by clicking the button on the remote. I have no problems I can switch between stations with no problems?

Any ideas how I can fix it please

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Ok you can try this first and if this dosent solve your problems we can go down another road

Menu > Factory Setting
    PIN 0000
    OK to delete

Turn box off at the back for a minute and turn back on

English > Installation
    Choose N*L etc
    Automatic Scan
    Press OK
    176 Channels found
    Exit

Menu 1570
    Turn EMU key ON

Exit , exit , exit

3. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Hi Celtic

Followed your instructions but to no avail...the problem persists to haunt me?.

I?m lost without my box

4. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Can anyone else shed some light on my problem? I feel lost with out my wonderful box

I know it?s a clone and in the system information window it says

API ver :257e_E
    Boot ver : 7.0
    16 Aug 2006

Don?t know if it helps with my probs

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

This often happens after a power outage on an SV even a jtag will not bring it back. Have you opened it up and looked at the power board to see if there are any blown capacitors.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  6. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Cheers for the reply m8.
    I haven?t opened it I will do. What?s a capacitor look like.

Are you saying it?s not fixable?

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You will see the capacitors the minute you open the box look for any blown ones. The bad news is you have mentioned "0" on the display after a power outage. I have seen the same symptoms on many occassions but unfortunately have not seen a fix as such as it seems to be a tuner problem due to a power surge.

8. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Arrr looks like i'm in the market for a replacement. I?ve had mine a yr now. so I presume they have a new model available. Can you recommend which one I should purchase?

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Matter of opinion but I think the Eurovox surpasses it as the best non linux box at the moment.

10. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

This time round I don?t want a clone... Are these boxes also cloned and if so what should I look out for so I don?t end up buying one?I have notice a few on fleabay for 87 quid is that a good price

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You need to but a 2008 Max V as they have not been cloned yet, (although I am led to believe they are on there way). And yes £87 sounds like a clone to me.

12. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Thanks for stepping in Scouser :)

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No problem Celt back after a loooooooong weekend LOL :)

14. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Howdy I’m finding out this freezing malarkey is happening allover after reading a few threads on here. There for is it possible this may be fixable

I have in the passed had my electric go off numerous occasions... with no problems

15. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

There is a nationwide problem with N** , It will come back.

16. chalkyuk

chalkyuk Guest

Ohhh great news...i was looking for a new one but i shall save my pennys now.

17. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

chalky you may have to spend some as your problem is different as I said above.

18. huyton1

huyton1 Member

hello cant get many channels on star veiw box when i scan it just says updateing data but channel never comes on. can anyone help please