1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

star vewi problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fez1, Jan 8, 2008.

1. fez1

fez1 Member

Hi i'm hoping some1 can help..... I am having the following problem with my box.... channels such as itv1, bbc1 seem to work..... When i go on a channel such as Sky Sports 1 it will work for a few seconds then the box seems to switch itself off and back on again?? a couple of times picture may freeze not come back on or after a couple of times of it turning on and off normal service will resume for a while then same problem will commence???
    thanks in advance for any help or tips.... am not the most technical so b gentle explaining the solution if any1 knows.... many thanks

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Press Menu > System Information and tell us what the API is please

Also

You will need to know if you have a clone or genuine

Count the vents on top

18x7 = Clone
    25x7 = Genuine
    13x7 = 1st Generation

Also you can go here to see some pics
    http://www.freewebs.com/dooby2oon

3. fez1

fez1 Member

thanks API is - 2.57e_E and its a clone...

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You could try reflash your b0x , Im not sure if thats the 2.57_FIXED firmware for clones

You will need a null modem cable DB9F to DB9F.

Null modem Cable

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

If your pc does not have a serial port you will need a USB to serial port adapter to use in conjunction with the null modem cable.

USB Adapter info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...t10&doy=search&MenuName=USB to Serial Adaptor

These two cable links are only for reference as they can be purchased alot cheaper on fleabay.

All firmware/loader can be found in the link at the end of my post marked Eamos Library.

You will need the GTromloader, (Starvi*w Software Uploader), found in the Starvi*w software folder of the link.

You will need version 2.57_FIXED firmware for CLONES found in "Starvi*w" firmware folder.

Updating Firmware

Connect your box and PC with a Null modem cable and switch on the cable box and put it on STANDBY.
    (The Starview does not need to be connected to TV to update it with GTROM)

Open GTROM Loader software make sure that you set the correct COM PORT
    that matches the one that is being used

Make sure App file only is selected, then click Bin File & browse to the firmware where you downloaded it to on your PC.

Run the GTROM loader by pressing Download and you will see the % progress increase
    then Download completed message on your PC.
    Wait until you see the DOWNLOAD COMPLETE pop up on your PC before
    removing the NULL MODEM CABLE. The Starvi*w will then reboot

Turn off and turn back on , then plug your tv cable and scart back in