1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star view new starter

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by CarlRoper, Oct 31, 2007.

1. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Hi,took delivery of my box today, Have auto scanned for TW and got a few terestrial hits all others are scrambled. Have read some of the threads, aris the info still current today. Dont seem to be ableto get to this sub menu people refer to

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Have you got a Starvi*w or "THE B0X"

3. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Hi, thanks for the response. I have THE BOX API ver :2.6e Boot ver: 7.0.

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You will need to update the firmware to access the secret menu

You will need a null modem cable DB9F to DB9F.

Null modem info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

If your pc does not have a serial port you will need a USB to serial port adapter to use in conjunction with the null modem cable.

USB Adapter info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...t10&doy=search&MenuName=USB to Serial Adaptor

These two cable links are only for reference as they can be purchased alot cheaper on fleabay.

All firmware/loader can be found in the link at the end of my post marked Eamos Library.

You will need the GTromloader, (Starview Software Uploader), found in the Starview software folder of the link.

You will need version 4.50 firmware Ireland found in "THE B0X" firmware folder.

You will need version 4.51 firmware U.K. found in "THE B0X" firmware folder.

And please download the Starview PDF guide,(similar instructions, this will give you step by step instructions on how to do everything.This can be found in the Starview Documentation folder in the link.

5. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Many many thanks. I would have been looking for this info until the cows came home without your response. It may take me a while to get my act together but I will memo you back to confirm you have unlocked my somewhat limited IT skillset.Thank you for giving me your time and expertise.

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

No problem , come back if you have any problems

7. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Sorry here I am again.Cables have been obtained and installed and files advised downloaded. When I came to run them however I got a windows message "cannot open this file" when trying to launch thebox_uk_H20070709_451eE_api.bin. When undertaking a microsoft Application search got message"No known program will open this file".
    Do I need another driver and if so can you help in the sourcing?

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You need winrar, winzip or any freeware zip program to unwrap the firmware first before you download it.

9. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

I appear to be showing my lack of technical ability here. I've downloaded both but the effect when I try to launch is still the same. I'm away for two weeks after tonight so if things go quiet I'm probably revving up for another attempt.

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Apologies just checked that file it is not wrapped, your problem is you are not using Gtromloader to load it. Have you downloaded Gtromloader? Also as Celt said please download the Starview guide as this tells you how to flash the box.

11. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Thanks for sticking with me guys. I have the starview cablebox guide,however after I have sucessfully launched the GTRom application I get the problem when I double click the Bin file

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Have you got "App File Only" selected in gtromloader?

13. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Yes scOuser, coming up as default.Not around now for two weeks but will be straight back on my return. Could it be the driver for the null modem cable do you think?

14. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The null modem cable doesnt require a driver, but if you are using a USB to serial adapter in conjunction with it you will need the correct driver for that depending on your OS.

15. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Good afternoon again guys,back from my hols and raring to go. My previous problem was caused I believe by not changing the com port. I have now done this and the bin file now shows as down loading but the % is not updating and nothing appears to be happening even when left alone for considerable time Any ideas?

16. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Are you using the correct cables check Celt's post above as you may not be using a null modem cable but a straight connected RS232 cable that looks the same.

17. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Sorry I also forgot to mention that the screen shown on the TV is not as per the instruction book ie it is the menu headed installtion-parential control etc

18. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Definitely a null modem serial cable linked through a USB serial converter

19. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry I have to leave for a while your problem is the lead I would say as per my previous post.

20. CarlRoper

CarlRoper Member

Both these cables were purchased brand new for the job but if you feel I've got a faulty one I;ll try another from a different supplier. No other ideas ?