1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT... Thanks Andrew!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ramzey, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ramzey

ramzey Member

I wasted a few disc on this before finally deciding to follow Andrews instructions. This is a frustrating game to backup, I suggest not trying to be creative and just follow his advice. For anyone having problems with this here it is again.

1. Use DVDDecrypter to create an ISO image file of the game (nothing special for this step)

2. Use ISOBuster (I downloaded version 1.7 and "registered" it) to extract all files from the ISO image file into a subfolder. ISO Buster can be found here:

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

3. Use the CD/DVD_Generator program to rebuild the DVD-ROM image. To do this, add all the ISOBuster extracted files and subfolder files in exact order:

SYSTEM.CNF
    SLES_525.45
    NTGUI.ELF
    SWBFRONT.ELF
    LICENSE
    CNF
    DATA
    IRX
    NETGUI
    NETIRX

NOTE: SLUES_525.45 may also be called SLUS_208.98, apparently there are two versions of the game (this file has something to do with the on-line play, no worries), this has no effect on this copy method.

So to get CD/DVD-ROM Generator you have to download, Sony Computer Entertainment is in the copyright under About, so I'm guessing this is one of the tools in the official dev kit? Basicly you can't copy this game without this tool. Anyway, someone already provided a link to download it, get it while you can:

http://www.btinternet.com/~ps2rippininfo/tools/cddvdgen.exe
    Includes crack.

4. In CD/DVD_Generator proceed to create a new DVD-ROM project, click on the Volume tab and enter:

For Disc Name use: SLES-52545
    For Producer use: PLAYSTATION
    For Copyright holder use: SONY
    For License Area, select: America

Leave information at the bottom blank,

4. Click on the Rec... tab. You'll get some error about device not being configured, click cancel or whatever.. then it will prompt you to create an image file. Give it a filename (starwars.ims) and point it to a new folder. Let it work, in about 5-10 minutes you'll have two files: starwars.000 starwars.001 along with some other small index files (you can delete those).

5. Go to the Start menu for Windows, go to Run and type in cmd, a command window will prop up.

6. Use DOS commands to navigate to the folder where the two starwars.00x files reside.

MS-DOS Tutor: Tip: CD\ gets you to the root folder, CD.. takes you back one level CD [folder name] changes to the target folder. DIR list directory contents.

Once you get to the folder where the two files are type in COPY /B STARWARS.000 + STARWARS.001 STARWARS.ISO.
    Now wait 5-10 minutes while STARWARS.ISO is created.

7. Use your favorite ISO burning software. I used Nero 6.3 to burn the ISO with Fuji DVD+R (8x max) media, burned at 2.4x (using Nero Finalize option). Burned using a LITE-ON LDW-411S burner with current firmware, on Windows XP SP2. The backup plays perfectly.

Again, thanks to Andrew31 for his original post, 90% of this is reiteration.

2. Nas30

Nas30 Member

Hi Ramzie
    I am following your directions on this Star Wars game and was doing ok until step 4. When I am creating a new project in generator, you said a error would appear that said something like "device not being configured". I get a error, but it is not that error, mine comes up with "too short location length(less than 5000 sector)"
    Any ideas on what that could be? Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Nas

3. bzboarder

bzboarder Guest

just wondering... i was able to backup my game with DVD Decrypter okay in the sense that it would load and everything would play, but it has long load times and sometimes gets jumpy for a little bit durring gameplay. do you know if this method would fix that? anyone else have this problem?

4. Molder

Molder Regular member

I backedup my PAL version the otherday using DVD Decryptor without a problem, I only used DVD Decryptor.

M

5. ropperftm

ropperftm Guest

anybody got a working link for cddvd generator ive downloaded but keep getting message windows cant run 16 bit program?

how did u copy using dvd decryptor

6. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

7. aleitz

aleitz Member

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'm curious, what makes this game frustrating to back up?

I also backed this up using Decrypter in ISO read and write mode and it plays perfectly. I used a Ritek Ridata 4x +R and burned it with a Plextor PX708UF.

One thing, I read and wrote at 1x.

9. ropperftm

ropperftm Guest

thanks
    molder and big orange i copied it first time thanks to your advice cheers

is there any game u both have not managed to back up using decryptor (ie shadow of rome ,mercenaries etc)

thanks again

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The game I can't back up is Gran Turismo 4. I don't know of anyone else who has either.

11. bzboarder

bzboarder Guest

thats because GT4 is DVD9... its possible, youll just have to split it onto 2 disks. but other than a few games, DVD Decrypter can back it all up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Heh yeah GT4 is alot harder after I looked at it.The problem is not really putting the game on 2 dvds bzboarder.It is actually extracting some of the files inside of the .VOL files on the layers.They both have a different .VOL file which are GT4.VOL and GT4L1.VOL.Inside both of these files contains a big list of files (movies,sound,cars,etc...)and they are both 2Gig in size.If someone was able to extract these files with a specific program,the actual .VOL files could be decompressed to a certain size.The problem would still be there though which would be the checks for the second layer of the disc.The only way around this is actually editing the checks of the game with winhex.I am still looking at it,but even I don't think I will have success getting this game to work.The reason why is that I am lacking the tools right now,and don't have alot of time on my hands.I feel the same way though bigorange about GT4,haven't heard of anyone actually making a backup of this game and have it play.I am sure I have seen alot of people make too many coasters though.Trust me though the answer lies deep within the .VOL files along with dvd checks.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

bzboarder,

LOL, I'm well aware GT4 is a DVD9. However it is possible to do a DVD9 game to DVD5 on one disc without splitting them into two. Unfortunately it doesn't work with GT4.

Even doing it on DL media won't work. I think the problem may lie that if it was in OTP format (Opposite Track Path) it would work, but for games like GT4, which is PTP (Parallel Track Path), it won't work. This is just pure speculation on my part.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

L-Burna, do you think ISO buster could work? Another wild guess on my part,LOL.

(you beat me to the post by a couple of minutes :>))

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Nope tried already bro,it just gives you an image and no files.The best thing to do though,is probably wait for someone to create a utility to extract from the GT4 .VOL files.I can actually look insde the .VOL files with this one utility I found on the net,but still no luck at recieving them man.I will keep looking into it and maybe a tool could show up out of the blue that works.At the moment though,I am as stumped as well as all the rest of the peeps trying to backup this game bro.I would start messing with ripping it,but still looking for a tool to extract the files from the .VOL files before even continuing.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I do have a little plan I'm gonna try this weekend, if it doesn't work it's only the cost of a .50 disc. If it does I'll post my results. Let me know if you come across a solution and I'll do the same. Good luck :>)

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Thanks man,I have some information not alot but some.I extracted from the .VOL files a couple minutes right after I replied to you man.The program I am using is from Zandal.It is called volview which is a .VOL viewer and can extract the files inside of it.If you need the program I can hook you up with it also.I am trying my best right now looking to see what can be downsized.Best of luck,and I hope a solution comes real soon.You have to admit though this has to be the hardest game to backup at the moment.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You have to admit though this has to be the hardest game to backup at the moment.

I don't know about at the moment, I'm thinking maybe ever :>(

I may take you up on the offer, let me see what I come up with 1st. I have a rough game plan, have no idea if it will work. I'm wondering if you could compress certain parts not related to actual game files decreasing it's size enuff to fit on a DVD5. My ISO file is only 5.1 gigs, so it's not that much over the 4.37(or so) limit.

It's gonna take a while to do what I have in mind and it may be a total flop, but what the hell, it's results can't be any worse than what's been tried before,LOL.

Eventually I have no doubt someone will come up with a solution, after all, it's just a sizing problem, not an encryption problem. It's just a matter of time, problem is, how much time are we talking? heh heh :>)

19. Franko23

Franko23 Guest

alright, so i'm on the dos command part, but i have everything saved on my d: drive and i don't know how to access that with dos... i can only get so that it is c: and i don't have enough room on the c: to put all the files on there. how can i change to d: so i can merge for my iso?