1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode 4 problems

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by phoenixmg, Jan 29, 2007.

1. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I'm trying to back up Star Wars Episode 4. I keep getting errors. I've tried using the latest update of DVDFabDecrypter and it can't read it fully. I have a NEC DVD RW 3520 drive. Thanks in advance

2. david66

david66 Regular member

What errors are you getting?

3. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

There are 2 errors: cyclic error/redundency & disk read error.

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

phoenixmg,
    Those error would indicate a bad disk. Exchange it for a another one.

5. david66

david66 Regular member

Before you return the disc check your burner for a firmware update go to WWW.firmwarepage.com you will need the model Number of your burner your burner is having problems reading the disc that is why you are getting thoes errors

6. david66

david66 Regular member

3.07 is the newest firmware for your burner

7. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

Thanks! I give that site a shot.

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@Car.Mike - ??? I have gotten this type of error in shrink before and it was related to encryption that Shrink can not handle by itself...I used ripit4me on the same disk and then it worked no CRC errors in shrink. SO was this some sort of fluke or does some encryption produce crc errors??????????????? It was not Star Wars, but Samurai Champloo disk.

9. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

kitty66 ,
    The original poster stated they were using DVDFAB Decrypter and since Stars Wars 4 is an old movie it should easily do the movie. Now since it is an old movie that DVDDecypter could do then this knocks out the encryption error that you get on the Sony and Liongate DVD's and so that only leaves a Bad disk( scratches,etc) or a bad mastering press. CRC's w/ the newer movie(depends on studio) could be a bad mastering press, Scratch or the encryption that incorporates the null segments. You remove those w/ VobBlanker or FixVTS. If I have confused you more then post back and I'll try and explain it better.

EDIT:
    I have not tried that movie that you mentioned but it could be a bad mastering press as HollyWood is using the cheapest producer of the DVD. We are seeing more bad mastering presses. If you try DVDFAB Dec., Ripit4Me and AnyDVD and they all fail then it is usually the disk itself and it needs to be returned for exchange

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  10. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Thanks Car.Mike, I was wondering about that so now I understand it that CRC errors when on a newish disk could be null areas, but on older releases it is bound to be bad press or damage. Got it. You explained it just fine.

Thanks again!