1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

start up error 'CPUID : OF29 Patch ID : 0017'

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jonny6767, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Jonny6767

Jonny6767 Member

been getting this error, i think it has something to do with ram but i really have no idea. The computer starts up and seems to work but this error appears with all that dos looking text on startup. I'm thinking this has something to do with my pc running games slow??
    (its a good pc so it shouldn't run slow.) an help would be appreciated. heres what it says agagin, CPUID : OF29 Patch ID : 0017

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think it has to do with the cpu id

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Are you sure its an error? I think that is just the BIOS autodetect running telling you what devices it finds. Many times the DOS messages on bootup tell you what size installed memory, hard drives detected, and other system info messages, thats just the one for the CPU. Basically it's just an informational message, not an error.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

This is not an error.

ddp has it nailed, it is the CPUID.

This is my CPU using Award Modular BIOS which displays:
    CPUID:00F29 Patch ID:0021 - 3.2Ghz P4 HT.

CPUID is combination of CPU type, Family ID, Model ID and Steppping ID. Where in my case 00F29 => CPU type =0, Family ID =15 which is "0F" in hexadecimal, Model ID = 2 and Setpping ID = 9. Therefore you have a CPUID=00F29.

This is used by the BIOS to identify your CPU and will not cause any ill effects....................

Basically the original BIOS that was written, has been upgraded to support future CPU's and therefore uses the CPUID to identify the CPU and then invokes the Patch ID to support it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  5. Jonny6767

Jonny6767 Member

thanks guys, big help :)

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn