1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting out right

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mlindal, Sep 14, 2004.

1. mlindal

mlindal Guest

Would like some expert advice on what to do with what I have and what i need to start copying DVDs. Don't really have much experience with computers...had a friend put one together for me but he doesn't do much DVD copying. I have the following drives and software that I think apply. DVD-rom, ATAPI DVDRW8xMax(-R/RW combo Drive), NEROBurning room 5.o, and Sonic MY DVD. Also confused with which format to use. Want to be able to play DVDs in our stand alone and am thinking DVD-R is the way to guy. Alos According to my Nero tool supported writing formats for my drive are DVD-R,DVD-RW andDVD+RW. Know it's kind of long, sorry, but would appreciate any help.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

mlindal,
    Welcome to the forum. I see that you have Nero but it needs to be updated to at least 5.5.10. Below are 2 Programs that are Free and you can use them to get you feet wet. I included a quick guide for you to use and I think I included all of the pertinent steps. I did this guide at work from memory so I hope all is there. Also on this forum are guides you can use and I urge you to read all you can. Again Welcome and have fun

1. Download DVDDecrypter www.dvddecrypter.com ( FREE )
    2. Download DVD Shrink http://www.dvdshrink.org/ ( FREE ) This is your compression program.

1. Make a folder on your Desktop> call it Rip Movies

2. Insert Movie in either DVD burner or DVD-Rom and click cancel when it asks you what to use to open the movie

3. Open DVD Shrink> click Open Disc> Shrink does quick analysis

4. Movie Only Option

a. Go to Re-author and Click it

b. Under Main movie slide the main movie to the left under DVD Structure

c. You can now remove the languages you do not want and the audio you do not want.

5. Click Backup and go to burn setting and disable Nero if you have Nero

6. Click SelectTarget Drive> click Iso Disc Image

7. Select Target Image File> Browse>Desktop> Rip Movie ( file you made)

8. Make sure to check the box Launch DVDDecrypter to burn the output image

9. click O.K

10. It will now do analysis and then encode the movie and automatically burn with DVDDecrypter

3. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

Man, that's a helluva lot more steps to use DVD shrink than I use.

1)I just launch Shrink, open disk (let it scan)
    2)remove things I don't want by unchecking them
    3)backup (name a folder), and let it rip and compress the disc.

(When this is finished it automatically ejects the disc and goes into wait mode. I insert a blank dvd-r and close the drive. Shrink uses DVD decrypter by default I believe (I uninstalled Roxio cause that program causes problems))

4)Insert blank disc, burning begins automatically
    5)insert into stand alone dvd player and enjoy!

But you could skip removing stuff and just let it do a full disc if you're happy with a bit reduced image quality (depends on size of disc dvd-5, dvd-9, etc).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  4. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hello mlindal,
    Welcome, btw, to aD. You're on the right track. Take your time and read the guides. Print them out and try the various settings like the quality settings. Be patient and understand that this isn't an exact science. I would suggest that any newbie like myself, start out using, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter only. Make sure everything else on the 'puter is shut down, ie virus protection and screensavers or anything else that might be running.
    Also, remember to defrag the 'puter. This can cause problems too.
    Good Luck and Happy Copying ; )
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gateway 2.5ghz P4 XP SP2
    DVD Shrink, dvd decrypter, Nero 6
    LGE 4020b Ritek GO4's DVDInfoPro
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

[​IMG]
    "I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way arou[/small]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  5. mlindal

mlindal Guest

Thanks to all. Working better than I thought it would and it was all free. Viva la Internet!