1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview box beginner guide - help please!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by sc101, Sep 21, 2007.

1. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

OK if you are on N** true cable and tried all that there may be a signal problem. Do you have a working subbed N** box and is that OK?

I have an updated channel dump for N** Dublin if you would like to try that you will need a null modem cable to upload it to the box, but as said if it is a signal problem you may need a booster to improve the signal. Mind me asking what general area of Dublin you are in as this sounds quite peculiar.

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i also had problem rescanning only picking up 37 chs. n*l,factory reset,rescan about 5 times same problem only 24 transponders working,switched to t&w scanned 0 chs,factory reset,power off/on, autoscan n*l 174 chs. found,36 transponders working

3. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Sorry for butting in here ., Are you using a scart lead ?

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

scouser
    some of my boxes scanned n*l 37 chs.found after many resets/scans left unplugged for 1 hour /on installisation t&w was on screen,as i know i scanned on n*l,factory reset,autoscan n*l 171 chs.found.i am convinced when viewing n*l in instal.is not always so

5. sc101

sc101 Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for replies.
    Scouser: What is a working subbed ntl box?
    What is a channel dump and what is a null modem cable?
    Area is Ranelagh. I remember few years ago, ntl digital telling us we had low levels so digital wouldnt work well but that was a few years ago now, and I know other places beside us in Ranelagh who have since got digital. Maybe it is some sort of signal problem though - what is a booster and how would I get one? We've two tv points in house - should I try the box on the 2nd pt out of interest?

Cactikid: It also only searches 24 transponders in autoscan. I guess there should be more? I quickly tried this morning, doing tw autoscan = 0 channels, and then re-did ntl autoscan but no change. I didnt have time to reset and turn off though.

Celtic 71: Yes, have scart lead from box to tv. And ntl lead from wall to the box.

Thanks again,

S

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  7. sc101

sc101 Member

Yes, have a n** box on wall that we get normal cable tv from that we pay for each month.

Yes, have null modem cable so. Is it worth trying a file dump do you think?

Is it just called "booster" in argos catalogue? Any type / brand I should look for and how much roughly should it be?

Def plugged into the tv output and not fm output, so not that. We've another tv point in a different room (where we don't really watch tv much, so want the starview where it is anyway), but will try it there this evening incase makes any difference.

Only scans 24, not 58 transponsers. Lots fails and only about 6 are used!

Its weird its picking up some freq's and not others, esp the fact its not picking up the rte/bbc etc freq which you'd think would be the easiest one for it to find. On manual scan, if i put in eg the rte freq there is 0% showing up.

Is it worth putting in key codes for the other providers also (saw on another thread) or not?

Thanks,

Mr Frustrated!!

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Dont blame you been frustrated. The codes for N** are the ones you need:

Line 00 = A9 86 6E EA 39 EA 09 49

Line 01 = 9E 40 85 78 E7 82 10 06

Yes you could try a channel dump and or booster. I dont usually offer support outside of the forum, (in fact never), but I will come and fix it for you as I am near enough to you. Then I will know what your problem is,(sounds like a cable/signal problem). Now that shows you how frustrated it is making me now.

9. sc101

sc101 Member

[\quote]

Dont blame you been frustrated. The codes for N** are the ones you need:

Line 00 = A9 86 6E EA 39 EA 09 49

Line 01 = 9E 40 85 78 E7 82 10 06

Yes you could try a channel dump and or booster. I dont usually offer support outside of the forum, (in fact never), but I will come and fix it for you as I am near enough to you. Then I will know what your problem is,(sounds like a cable/signal problem). Now that shows you how frustrated it is making me now.[/quote]

Yep, they're the ntl codes I have. Thanks a million for the offer. Let me double check everything again this evening and try it all one more time, including the other room with tv point. Maybe soon I'll actually watch some channels instead of this messing!! If no luck this evening, should I get a booster anyway? How much are they and what brand? I'll then pm you my mobile and would be great if you could pop over whenever suited you - thanks a million.

I'll re-try everything one more time this evening anyway first and let you know how I get on.
    Glad the frustration is spreading!!

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep, they're the ntl codes I have. Thanks a million for the offer. Let me double check everything again this evening and try it all one more time, including the other room with tv point. Maybe soon I'll actually watch some channels instead of this messing!! If no luck this evening, should I get a booster anyway? How much are they and what brand? I'll then pm you my mobile and would be great if you could pop over whenever suited you - thanks a million.

I'll re-try everything one more time this evening anyway first and let you know how I get on.
    Glad the frustration is spreading!![/quote]

No problem the booster range in price, you will probably be better off with a cheap one, (approx €10), at first to try it out and then if the problem persists a variable one with an attenuator may be required about (€30 to €40). Although it does sound like a cable connection problem or may be something simple we have missed. Try again this evening failing that I will have a look at it for you.

11. sc101

sc101 Member

Ok. Thanks again.

12. cactikid

cactikid Active member

sc101
    everytime u have a bad scan,37 chs,u need to factory reset ok,english,power off box for a min/on,english ok,install.ok,n*l,autoscan,174 chs.found,ok exit,parental cont. ok,info2004,emu to on

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

They have tried that a few times already as I have asked them to do that on one of the first posts but to no avail. Sounds like a signal/cable issue, or God forbid a faulty tuner.

14. cactikid

cactikid Active member

if his box was taken to a different location and scanned,and found 174.chs.tuner would be alright?,indicating cable problem?.would a box to box transfer work if tuner dodgy?
    and the prize with the correct answer,polly want a cracker and a can of red bull to fly out of here!

15. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes you could bring it elsewhere and if it worked it would indicate it is more than likely a cable fault/signal problem in its original location. Box to box transfers only channel and programme data and doesnt do anything with the tuner.

16. sc101

sc101 Member

Hello again,

Tried everything again last night. Including reset, left turned off and unplugged for about 2 hours. Tried it on other tv point. All exact same as before - except actually scanned 36 transponders as opposed to 24, but end result was all the exact same channels and frequencies as before. That is 84 channels plus about 20 radio ones. Tried manual scan again for the rte frequency and zero% again.

So, basically, as you say, must be signal problem or else tuner problem in the box. I have a feeling its a signal problem, and will buy a booster at weekend.

Scouser - I'll pm you so if thats ok..

Thanks,

S

17. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Fire ahead BTW N** are working around your area as we speak. So after they change your external cabling it should improve either way.

18. sc101

sc101 Member

Hi,

Tried the booster idea last weekend and no good! Scouser - did you get my pm? If not, could you pm me and I'll reply to you then?!

When I connected via booster and did scan (turn off on factory reset etc as before), it scanned ZERO channels!!! Tried the booster on the normal tv then and it actually made the reception worse! Was just a regular signal booster from Argos for about eur12. Don't understand it. Re-did everything and got my usual 84 channels! Going to try the box at my parents house next weekend to see how many channels it picks up there. This is wrecking my head!!

On a seperate note, Freq 323.000 (sky movies etc) has just gone on me this evening - anyone else experiencing this or just me?!

Thanks again,
    S

19. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sly movies working fine here. I never got a pm from you but I have sent you one.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  20. cd76

cd76 Member

HI,

I am in Dublin Ireland and thinking of buying the Starview "The Box".

Can I use it with standard NTL cable(coax connection). I do not subscribe to NTLs digital service. I heard on a post somewhere that "the box" will give me free channels even with the basic NTL cable connection. Is that true or must I upgrade my subs to NTL Digital.

many thanks