1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview box stopped working

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Hedders, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Hedders

Hedders Member

im using my pc i got the cable from maplins in blanchardstown...yeah it says null modem cable on the packet.. is the box just nackered?????

2. Hedders

Hedders Member

sorry bud but can we continue this tomorrow cause i have to be on site at 6am and my boss dont like me being late ha thanx for all the help and hopefully we can sort it tommoro..nite

3. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

was there anybody at the box and did you buy this new

now you can try this ok get your gtrom loader ready with the file in it so all you have to do is load it to the box now you might have to try this a couple of times ok so bear with it press the download button on the loader at the same time turn your box on at the back of the box and see will it catch it now wait for a few min to see will it work

4. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  5. Hedders

Hedders Member

hi guys tried turning on the box at same time as pressing download but still noting and i lent the box to a friend of mine and e said no one touched but i think hes lyin

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

I think he is lying too , as Fergus has helped you out with almost everything he can , I dont know what else you can do or try

7. Hedders

Hedders Member

so basically the box is nackered an i should throw it at my mate ha ha

8. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

It must be to do with what version is installed on it , and I cant understand why it wont let you update it

9. Hedders

Hedders Member

its weird but could it to be with me using 2.57 fixed and its a first gerneration box or somein..

10. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Sure its not letting you do anything to it when its connecting to the PC so therfore it wont let you update it to any version

When plugged into the Tele can you use the remote at all

11. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i found out he passed box on to brother in bray!

12. marlynn

marlynn Member

thanks cacti. i know they have n*l in bray. and assume that it is digital area. thanks very much for help and reply. can only hope that ch**us get their act together and get us digital out here asap.

13. cactikid

cactikid Active member

only found out box moved to bray!

14. Hedders

Hedders Member

no the remote has no effect...

15. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

This is your last option after this it is a jtag problem i would say

If you have a bad flash, switch it off then on at the back & make sure its on standby.
    Then Flash as normal. This also applies to flashing (up & downloading) the channel data file.
    If for some reason you cannot flash and have set and checked everything else such as ports and connections,
    then you should switch off at the back wait a moment then on again. Then try to flash again.

If for some reason it won't go into standby and you see a constant moving green line.
    you may want to wait to see if it goes into standby or switches on eventually or re-flash from this state
    though it may not work. Some users have reported that flashing an older firmware 1st that was working,
    then trying again may help. If your flash has failed or corrupted try again but 1st flash back the firmware
    that was on before your failed flash. Re download the firmware just in case you had a corrupted file then try again.
    If you do flash from the moving green line state at boot, you will see the % increase on the GTRom loader
    software but not on the Starview. Toward the end of the flash you'll see a Flash Burning message in GTRom.
    Make sure you wait until all is finished and you see the Download complete pop up message in GTRom.

Another method you can use to recover from a bad flash, eg. the box won't boot to standby and is stuck
    in pre standby, either after about 3 or 4 moving green lines the box sticks with the green line not moving
    at all or it keeps moving forever. If the box will NOT RE-FLASH as normal from on or standby, try this but it
    may take a few goes to work.

Connect the box to the pc with your cable but switch it off at the back. Load the correct
    firmware bin file into GTRom & set it to the correct com port, and select App file only then hit Download.
    Only then switch on at the back to power on the box. It may take a few sec. so wait at least 30 sec.
    (If it doesn't work 1st time try also waiting a couple of sec. to switch on after pressing download in the loader.) It may take more than 1 try to work, but eventually you'll see the loader kick in and the % bar increase. You won't see the % on the Starview though. Only green lines moving left to right. Towards the end of the flash you'll see a message in GTRom saying FLASH BURNING. Then it will reach 100% and wait for the download complete pop up box to appear & the box will reboot back to factory setup. You will have lost any channel data previously on the box & will need to rescan & switch on EMU and set the box up from scratch.

If you don't know the state of the box switch it on see what happens see if there already has been a channel
    scan done before-meaning there are channels on it working or not. If so tune to an unencrypted channel as above
    then standby then re-flash.

16. Hedders

Hedders Member

i will give that a try later bud thanx..quick question..i asked a question about a nokia d box before and it was never answered..all my channels names are there but i cant watch them..i can only watch setanta..all the channels i cannot watch have a little yellow key illuminated at the bottom..any solutions?????

17. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

most people on this site do not know about them only starview so you need to put it in on the top of search bar that is why you did not get answer sorry

18. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Hi can i have a crack

Same thing appeared when I tried to put my null cable modem thingy connected to PC and laptop .. selected the right com port etc but kept saying access denied.

What I did is this......

IN GTROM MAKE sure the baud rate is set to 115200

next make sure you connect your null modem cable to the box and ur PC - make sure both are off. turn em both on.

Now also make sure your setting for your port are correct.

Go to Control Panel. System then hardware then device manager. ul see a massic list

Scroll down to ports (com LPT) and click on the + sign. should have your null modem cable there (there will also be your printer cable one too ... dont touch that). Right-Click on your NUll modem cable one .. click on properties go to port settings select and remember the com port ur using ... find one if it says in use ... just scroll down ... its be Com1, Com2, Com3 etc

then go to general and advanced and make sure the baud rate is 115200 click ok.restart comp and starview.

go to GTrom loader thing ... make sure baud rate is set to 115200 and select the port u chose above (make sure ur cable is in the same port as u did it above) then click on app file only ... find the firmware on ur PC by clicking browse and click download... that should do the trick i think

worked for me

19. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

oh and also make sure u had a driver for ur port if its and external one

20. bunglethe

bunglethe Member

can somone help. When I autoscan 0 channels are found. My ntl is working wuthout using the box. This happened wheen i restored factory settings as I done this before when the codes wouldnt work