1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview firmware updates

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by wlash, Jun 11, 2007.

1. wlash

wlash Guest

hey,

i got a box recntly and have looked at the clone v genuine photos to see if mine is a clone. it looks genuine but im still a bit sceptical as to whether to update to v4. is it true that you can update v3 and then just flash it back to 257 and the keys will have updated? if the box is a clone will v3 kill the box straight away or does it take a little time?

2. raartoot

raartoot Regular member

I know of a few people who have a clone with v3 software on it and its ok so far, still heard of a few frying though. The fist generation starview does look so much like the clone but just check the instruction manual and check the stats at the back few pages. thats how I knew I had a 1t gen starview and not a clone.

If version 258 is working for you then why fix it if it aint broke. Otherwise upgrade to v3 and take a chance.
    The keys do chnage often and I have heard of 257 not working until they flashed it with v3 then factory reset it and put 257e back on and it worked but not very reliable.

3. wlash

wlash Guest

thanks, what should i be looking for in the manual/ stats to see if its a clone?

4. raartoot

raartoot Regular member

On page 25 sextion 3 there is the stats of the cpu clock and main processer...

Main is : Sti 5518 ST20 32Bit
    CPU clock : 81mhz

Let me know how you get on.

5. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

mine says that and its not a clone

6. Jonny_doe

Jonny_doe Member

Mine also says that , and i'm sure i got a clone as firmware 4 fried it after 2 days.
    is the another way is check to make sure it not a 1st gen starview

7. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

looking from the front look throught the slats on the top right.there should be a silver cube.if the silver cube is straight lines its genuine.if the lines are all split into little squares its a clone.if theres none then its a gen1

8. Jonny_doe

Jonny_doe Member

I've just took mine apart , and been looking at this guide http://www.drewish1.co.uk/informat.htm

here's the pics of the inside of mine ..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the pics it looks like 1st gen , but the remote is the copy one ..

9. Jonny_doe

Jonny_doe Member

10. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

your pics didnt work but if it looks like a first gen then it is.you could have just got a clone remote

11. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

from the pic its a clone because the heat sink is spikey.genuines are just straight lines.