1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview - How long do they last?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Deano1882, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Deano1882

Deano1882 Member

Hi, how long does a flashed starview last?? "The Box" version(Genuine, not a clone) I have been told they update/regenerates itself and will just keep going... Is this true? Or do they seem to go down after a few months etc, and will that mean they have to get re flashed to work again? If any one could give me a rough idea how long they should work for... Sorry don't know too much about them at the moment.

2. eamo32

eamo32 Regular member

There's no real way to know how long it will be before it needs to be re-flashed. The current firmware has been out for a while, and works well.
    A couple of things we need to know.
    Are you in Ireland or UK? There is different firmware.
    What firmware do/ you have on the box? Press Menu -> System Information. What is in there? What API?

If you need to update the firmware, should be 4.50 for Ireland and 4.51 for UK, go to the eko link at the end of this post. Go in to TheBox, then Firmware, and download the correct one.
    You will also need the gtrom loader software which can be got from the eko site, in the Starview / Software folder.
    A null modem cable will also be required, you may have got one in the box when you bought it, but a lot of the cables supplied were of the wrong type.

If you have any questions, come back here and ask away, someone will help.

3. cactikid

cactikid Active member

most people have original box for 1 year+,depends how u look after it,they have had a few problems,normally overcome with a few adjustments like loss of chs.due to frequency change,and a rescan to sort it out ,all boxes will go down when cable comps.change their encryption[oh shit]

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

If you look after them properly and update with the right firmware etc , they should last a life time :)

5. Deano1882

Deano1882 Member

Cheers for the replies, i am in the UK and i have 4.51 version. I just wanted to know as i bought one recently off a mate, and i am just hoping it it don't go off after a couple of months, hoping it lasts a year at least. Then if it does go down, is that all you have to do is update with the new firmware and it will be reflashed and working again??? I am not sure if i could do this, but if i gave it back to the person i bought it from they should be able to do it?

Thanks.

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

7. Deano1882

Deano1882 Member

Cheers for that info celtic, i might have a go at it if it goes down! :) So if i bought a normal box off ebay or somwehere and followed those instructions it would then be flashed and have all the extra channels or is there more to it? I know some one else who might want one, i am thinking of trynig to flash it for him, but if it does not work the first time, does that mean the box is finished or can you have other attempts at trying to flash? I have seen the starview.pdf guide on that site is that what i should follow in order to flash it?

Thanks.

8. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Ok you have to be careful what B0X you get , as there is different firmware for different boxes

Genuine Starvi*w is 4.00
    Clone Starvi*w is 2.57_fixed

Starvi*w 2 (THE B0X) is 4.51 for UK

All these can be found in the link in all my posts

THE BOX has no clones as yet and the Original Starvi*w has 25x7 vents on top and Clone Starvi*w has 18x7 vents on top

If you flash a clone with the genuine firmware then you could blow it up :)
    Hope this info helps you out

9. Deano1882

Deano1882 Member

Yes i read about the differences in boxes, if i get one it will be the right one! Can you just confirm the starview.pdf guide by following that will flash it, and what about if it does not work on the first attempt can you try again or is that it and the box is knackered and you need to buy another one? I am sure something will probably go wrong on my first try at it lol. Are there any certain PC features you also must have to flash? Thanks for all the help so far.

10. Deano1882

Deano1882 Member

Hi, i was told my starview has a Auto-Update Facility Built-In? Is this true and does any one else have this on there box? Does this mean the box wont go down, coz it will just keep updating? It would great if this is true!

Thanks!

11. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

The 4.51 for THE BOX has the auto roll function for updating the codes

Flashing is quiet easy to do and not many people have trouble doing it unless you have a laptop and no 9 pin port , therefore you will need to buy a USB Adapter and install it to use in conjuction with the NULL MODEM CABLE

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  12. Deano1882

Deano1882 Member

Ok thanks for that, i have another question sorry if there are too many lol i am just trying to find out as much as i can about starview as i haave only had it for 3 days and it's great! Another thing i want to know is if i bought a Starview 2 basic box (unflashed) how many channels do you get then and is there a list of the exact channels you would get before flashing? After flashing you would get how many extra roughly?

13. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

If you buy the SV2 and it comes with 2.60 installed then you will only get to see the FTA channels which you can view on any TV , When you flash it to 4.51 and turn the EMU key on , you will get Approx. 150 TV channels , depending on your area and provider