1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview PVR for a complete beginner?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by scoon2, Jul 14, 2007.

1. scoon2

scoon2 Member

I purchased a Starview PVR 5000 the other day and thought it would be good to go straight out of the box - clearly this isn't the case. Firstly it had an aussie plug on (is this normal?) I replaced it for a UK plug but every time I switch it on I'm getting electric shocks - there is no earth connection going to a metal box - is this right? secondly cannot find any channels - I guess this means I need to upgrade firmware so I have ordered a null modem serial cable but after searching through these forums I cannot find the right software and I'm getting very confused - I thought I had found the right thing but this turned out to be firmware for "the box" - is it the same firmware for both these boxes?.

I live round Bristol way with what used to be tel**est. I got the box off wizard satellite on ebay.

Any help much appreciated.

2. scoon2

scoon2 Member

by the way system info is:
    UK PVR Cable 5000
    Dual Record PVR
    Ver 1.134, 18 Jan 2007

I havn't got an HDD yet, wanted to see it working first. Could this cause problems?

Cant access menu to insert codes, nothing happens when I put in 1570.

Don't know if box is genuine or clone as has 16x14 vents???

3. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

I'm not sure about Starv**w PVR 5000 and what firmware it needs , but if you can access the MENU to find the system info , try press MENU then 1570 it brings you into the secret CAS for the Codes and EMU key

4. scoon2

scoon2 Member

Thanks for your reply - Cant get that to work at all - although if I press menu and 1668 it goes to a black screen where I can test serial connection/video output settings etc, But definitely nowhere to enter codes or choose provider etc

5. wiz569

wiz569 Regular member

6. scoon2

scoon2 Member

Thanks very much mate I have found everything I need there - info and 2007 dosen't work either but I've found the latest firmware so all good.

7. wiz569

wiz569 Regular member

No problem mate :)

8. stewin

stewin Member

Hi scoon
    How did u get on mate i was reading your message and also live in Bristol and was considering purchasing a starview box.
    If anyone else is reading this and would care to respond i was also trying to find out if i could just buy a tv card for my PC that would do the same thing connect to my broadband and allow me to get the channels, becuase i already have a cable that runs to my wall mounted plasma from my PC and would prefer to run it all from the PC if possible.
    Thanks Ste