1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview PVR info

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by girthius, Feb 6, 2008.

1. girthius

girthius Member

Hi,

Just bought a starview PVR based on some of the posts/reviews here. Everything seems fairly simple. Just got a few questions as I sit here waiting for my actual cable to be installed!!

Should I connect the N*L cable box to the output of the cable loop 2 on the PVR so that the original box can still send back a signal to N*L or should I not bother? Will this affect my signal quality? Or do I need a seperate splitter to do this?

As I'm getting broadband through them as well, I guess this will be done with a splitter? Is there too much splitting going on here? Is this going to end up in a big splitting mess? :S

Cheers

Girthius

2. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    No, (AFTER installation) use a good quality splitter near your ntl box and leave it connected for talk back and connect the other lead to your Starview, and use the loop cable (short lead should be supplied with SV) to connect to the second tuner of the Starview. Make sure you get these connected correctly (they are marked on back of receiver) and don't go by the manual its crap. Your Broadband will be on a separate line and they should put it where you want it (near your PC).
    jbvid

3. girthius

girthius Member

Will make sure I hide the box before the N*L guy comes round!

Cheers for the info, as you seem to be the PVR expert round here, i'm sure i will be asking you for m,ore help soon :)

take it easy

Girthius

4. girthius

girthius Member

Hi,

Got the box setup and working last night works great. Got a couple of questions though(!)

Will the box come out of standby to record stuff, or do I have to leave it on?
    Also how often do you have to power cycle it? I have had to do it a couple of times due to choppy images, stuttering sound etc.

I just used a £5 splitter from maplin, but the guy there said the one marked as a satellite splitter would work better. I wasn't sure as I'd read that wouldn't work.

Cheers for the help

Girthius

5. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Yes, you can switch it off to standby and it will come on at your EPG set time.
    You should only have to power off/on prior to setting up an EPG timer to record. If you are getting choppy pics and sound you still have signal strength problem to sort out.
    Have you tried it without the splitter???. The important thing about the splitter is the Freq range, mine that works ok is Konig 5-2400mhz from popular auction site. Not much faith in boosters, not heard many sucess stories about them. Better to get N*L out to check your line signal strength if you still have probs.
    jbvid

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  6. notbrazil

notbrazil Member

Hello

Thought I had posted but it seems not.

Looking to get PVR and was thinking of The Box PVR. What do you think? I have heard mixed reports - some saying that if I want PVR to get Sky Plus.

Was thinking of purchasing base model and installing my own IDE HD.

7. balcee

balcee Regular member

Evening all.

I woke up this morning to find a load of premium channels missing. No problem I thought...ran a scan all channels reappeared. Perfect! Or so I thought...

Just this evening, that S4y Sp0rts 1 is displayed with the S4y Bet screen (as if you were to press red button while watching S4y Sp0rts and selecting Bet).

I've tried everything I can think of but can't get the normal sports screen S4y Sp0rts 2,3 and xtra and perfectly fine. Does anybody have any ideas???

St4rview 2 v7
    Firmware 4.54
    Provider is t3l3west (v1rg1n)

Please help - I can't watch Bolton v Liverpool on Saturday like this...

8. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

they have seemed to have changed the channel leave it and wait and see will it come back

9. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    This is a post and thread for the Starview PVR (Starview PVR info)with different menus and buttons so you won't find anyone replying to your Starview 2 problem. I would post a separate new thread for your problem.
    jbvid

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008