1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview Software?Please help!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by barry84, Jun 21, 2007.

1. barry84

barry84 Member

hi,

im new to this forum so im really sorry if this is one of the most asked questions regarding Starview.
    I purchased a Starview box a few months ago,how can i tell if its an original or if its a clone?

Is there a link to where i can find the software for updating the SV box automatically using the R232 lead??
    My system information reads:
    API VER 2.55e_E
    BOOT VER 7.0
    22 July 2006

again,apologies if this is a commonly asked question.
    Thanks Guys and Gals

2. eamo32

eamo32 Regular member

Go to this link, http://www.drewish1.co.uk/ , pretty much all the information you need is there, courtesy of drewishuk.
    How to tell if you have a clone or genuine, software downloads, etc.

If you find that you have a clone, do not use any firmware newer than 2.57 or 2.58. Firmware versions 2.60, 3.00 and 4.00 will kill your box if it's a clone.

If you need more help, post back, I'll be on for a while longer, and there are lot's of good folk on here that can and will help.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. barry84

barry84 Member

cool,from what i can see the back of my SV box is a clone but the remote is the same as the remote marked LATEST.
    so am i a clone or an original?

so to be safe i'll upgrade from 2.55 to 2.57 MAX?

4. eamo32

eamo32 Regular member

Best to stick with 2.57 until you know for sure if its genuine or not.
    Have to do some work. Back shortly, I'll try to help some more.

5. barry84

barry84 Member

ok ive gotten the auto rolling v2.57 software downloaded and tried to extract the info using poweriso but its telling me its an invalid/unsupported file.

ive used poweriso 100's of times before,i cant understand what im doing wrong.
    ive also got the box connected to my pc via the r232 cable(first time ive ever connected something to my pc with an r232 cable)but nothing is happening,like i mean,theres no pop up to tell me that this port is connected to anything,is this normal?
    should it show up when i click "My Computer"

6. eamo32

eamo32 Regular member

That's normal behaviour.
    If the firmware file has .zip on the end, you need to use something like winzip or winrar to unpack it. If the extension is .bin, leave it as it is. Start the gtrom loader loader, select your .bin file, and then press download.
    Sorry if I'm not being exact with the instructions, but I'm still in work with no access to the box or software.
    If this works, make sure you wait until you get 'Download completed', or something to that effect, then wait another 20secs to be safe, before disconnecting anything.

7. barry84

barry84 Member

ok GTROM?first time ive seen that mentioned?
    is it another application i have to get?

8. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

yes there is a link at the bottom of my post

9. eamo32

eamo32 Regular member

OK barry, go to the drewish link again, go into resource tool again. There is alink there for the gtrom loader software, you will need this to flash the firmware.

I am leaving work now, wife and kid permitting, I'll try to check in later on, but there are lots of people on here who are more than willing and able to help.
    Failing that, I'll be on again tomorrow if you're stuck.

10. barry84

barry84 Member

thanks for the help lads,im not a computer idiot or anything,im sure i'll get this myself...after many hours of trying!!!

11. barry84

barry84 Member

ok i was using an old version of gtrom,got that 4.0 version and its downloading now no problem.
    Many Thanks lads!