1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STARVIEW UPDATING FIRMWARE - NO CODE BEGGING HERE

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Celtic71, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You will need a null modem cable DB9F to DB9F.

Null Modem Cable

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

If your pc does not have a serial port you will need a USB to serial port adapter to use in conjunction with the null modem cable.

USB Adapter

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...t10&doy=search&MenuName=USB to Serial Adaptor

These two cable links are only for reference as they can be purchased alot cheaper on fleabay.

You will need to know if you have a clone or genuine

Count the vents on top

18x7 = Clone
    25x7 = Genuine
    13x7 = 1st Generation

Also looking from the front
    Scart to the left = Clone
    Scart to the right = Genuine

Also you can go here to see some pics
    http://www.freewebs.com/dooby2oon

ST@RVIEW 1

You will need the GTromloader, (Starvi*w Software Uploader), found in the Starvi*w software folder of the link.

You will need version CryptStar-v1.5-Core400only firmw@re for GENUINES found in "Starvi*w" firmw@re folder here.

You will need version CryptStar-v1.5-Core257 firmw@re for CLONES found in "Starvi*w" firmw@re folder here.

ST@RVIEW 2 - THE B0X

You will need the GTromloader , v4.03_051005, (Starvi*w Software Uploader), found in "THE B0X" software folder of the link.

You will need version thebox_h20081204_455eE_apifound in "THE B0X" firmw@re folder here.

ST@RVIEW 3 - THE B0X SUP3R

You will need version GTRom_Super_8.02e for THE SUPR B0X found in "THE B0X SUPR" firmw@re folder. (UFL = Unified Firmware Loader) here .

St@rview 4 - TheboxSuperUSB You will need version V1.07 for TheboxSuperUSB found in "THE B0X SUPR USB" firmw@re folder here.

Instructions SV4 Supr USB

To load the files just drag them on to a memory stick and then put the memory stick in the USB port at the back of the receiver.
    Then press the menu button on the remote there you will see USB at the bottom of the screen.
    Just highlight USB with the remote then you will see the (Box Super USB Bin file) appear on the screen.
    Highlight "theboxsuperusb_v1.01_beta" with the remote and press the ok button then you will see the file start loading in to the Box.
    Once that is complete, do that again but with the "TheBoxSuperUSB_BG_LOGO_080904" file.

Once that is done,

• Turn on the box, press menu and go to installation,
    • Select correct provider i.e. NTL, C/W or TW
    • Then automatic scan
    • Once the channels are found, exit back to the blank screen
    • Press menu then 1570,
    • Go down to the bottom option and turn EMU to ON.
    • Now exit 3 times and go to S*y Sports and let it update.

All firmw@re/loader can be found in the link at the end of my post marked EAMO'S LIBRARY.

Updating Firmw@re SV 1/2/3

Connect your box and PC with a Null modem cable and switch on the cable box and put it on STANDBY.
    (The Starvi*w does not need to be connected to TV to update it with GTROM)

Open GTROM Loader software make sure that you set the correct COM PORT that matches the one that is being used

Make sure App file only is selected, then click b1n File & browse to the firmw@re where you downloaded it to on your PC.

Run the GTROM loader by pressing Download and you will see the % progress increase then Download completed message on your PC.

Wait until you see the DOWNLOAD COMPLETE p0p up on your PC before removing the NULL MODEM CABLE.

The Starvi*w will then reboot

Disconnect from PC and connect back up to the TV :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

If you have a Bad Flash with software have a Read of This might help

If you have a bad flash, switch it off then on at the back & make sure its on standby.
    Then Flash as normal. This also applies to flashing (up & downloading) the channel data file.
    If for some reason you cannot flash and have set and checked everything else such as ports and connections,
    then you should switch off at the back wait a moment then on again. Then try to flash again.

If for some reason it won't go into standby and you see a constant moving green line.
    you may want to wait to see if it goes into standby or switches on eventually or re-flash from this state
    though it may not work. Some users have reported that flashing an older firmware 1st that was working,
    then trying again may help. If your flash has failed or corrupted try again but 1st flash back the firmware
    that was on before your failed flash. Re download the firmware just in case you had a corrupted file then try again.
    If you do flash from the moving green line state at boot, you will see the % increase on the GTRom loader
    software but not on the Starvi*w. Toward the end of the flash you'll see a Flash Burning message in GTRom.
    Make sure you wait until all is finished and you see the Download complete pop up message in GTRom.

Another method you can use to recover from a bad flash, eg. the box won't boot to standby and is stuck
    in pre standby, either after about 3 or 4 moving green lines the box sticks with the green line not moving
    at all or it keeps moving forever. If the box will NOT RE-FLASH as normal from on or standby, try this but it
    may take a few goes to work.

Connect the box to the pc with your cable but switch it off at the back. Load the correct
    firmware bin file into GTRom & set it to the correct com port, and select App file only then hit Download.
    Only then switch on at the back to power on the box. It may take a few sec. so wait at least 30 sec.
    (If it doesn't work 1st time try also waiting a couple of sec. to switch on after pressing download in the loader.) It may take more than 1 try to work, but eventually you'll see the loader kick in and the % bar increase. You won't see the % on the Starview though. Only green lines moving left to right. Towards the end of the flash you'll see a message in GTRom saying FLASH BURNING. Then it will reach 100% and wait for the download complete pop up box to appear & the box will reboot back to factory setup. You will have lost any channel data previously on the box & will need to rescan & switch on EMU and set the box up from scratch.

If you don't know the state of the box switch it on see what happens see if there already has been a channel
    scan done before-meaning there are channels on it working or not. If so tune to an unencrypted channel as above
    then standby then re-flash.

CREATE A CH@NNEL DUMP

Connect the SV to the PC and put it on stand-by

Open GT ROM LOADER

Click "Channel Data File"

Click "UPLOAD" and NAME and LOCATE the channel dump you want to save to your PC , Click SAVE

Wait till you see the pop up b0x "Download Complete" before disconnecting

Now open SVCE program and click File > Open > locate the Channel Dump you just saved and move , rename as you like and SAVE , then transfer the file back to your SV and you have the channels in order etc

TRANSFER CHANNEL DUMP

Connect the SV to the PC and put it on stand-by

Open GT ROM LOADER

Click "Channel Data File"

Click "BIN File" and locate the channel dump you just downloaded to your PC

Then click on "Download" and the channels should transfer to your b0x

Wait till you see the pop up b0x "Download Complete" before disconnecting

Connect the SV back to the TV and see if you have it now

Manually Moving Channels

Press Menu > Channel Edit > 0000 > Press YELLOW button to EDIT > Highlight the channel you want to move > Press the RED button to MOVE > Use your \/ /\ arrows to move it where you want and press OK

Repeat till you have them sorted in the order you like

When your finished , press EXIT and it will save them for you

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

To see which port your USB adapter is connected to, connect your USB adapter and follow the following instructions:

1. Go to the Start Menu
    2. Right click on "My Computer"
    3. Select "Properties"
    4. Click on the "Hardware" tab
    5. Click on "Device Manager"
    6. Click the + sign next to "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    7. One of the listed ports should indicate which port your USB adapter is connected to (e.g. COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.)
    8. Go back to your map software program that you use to transfer data and make sure it is looking at the correct port.
    9. You should be able to transfer data once the correct port is selected

If you need drivers go here

http://www.gilsson.com/usb_drivers_download.htm

Follow my advice to step 7. Locate your USB Adapter (port *)

Right click on that port and select properties. Then select port settings, then select advanced. At the bottom of that tab will be a drop down box with the port selected (port * in your case). Use the drop down to select another port (eg 1, 2 or 3). If the port you want to use is already allocated to something else, you can use the same procedure to reassign that port after you have finished.
    Save the selections in the usual way. The USB converter will be permanently assigned to the port you selected.

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Nicely updated Celt ;)

5. McGrogg

McGrogg Guest

Thanks Celtic71 your instructions were spot on
    can I propose you for a public service medal ?

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

She already has one :)

7. Dreadly

Dreadly Member

Hi can u help me please,
    I have followed the instructions above and am currently flashing my clone starview with CryptStar-v1.4-Core257.bin, do i then need to flash with 4.51 firmw@re for THE B0X UK??? Or is it just the one bin file that i install or do i do both?? I,m assuming both as I downloaded 2 files but there is nothing to say i do both?? Pease excuse my ignorance. :)

Thnaks in advance

8. karljd

karljd Regular member

no if you have a clone just use the core2.57bin

9. naylor

naylor Member

10. Dreadly

Dreadly Member

SORRY SORRY,
    dont mean to trouble u guys but i have a replaylite which i flash no probs now but this is my 1st attempt at my sons (oh no i,m in trouble lol), i have done both updates CryptStar-v1.4-Core257.bin and then 4.51 firmw@re for THE B0X UK(silly i know) but this is what i normally do for replay. So can i reverse this, when i turn on the box at the moment all i get is one green bar at bottom of the display on the box and all it says when connected to tv is THE BOX logo picture. So have i goosed the box or can i fix this??? please help me or my son aint gonna be impressed lol.......

Thanks again

11. Dreadly

Dreadly Member

EDITED

12. Dreadly

Dreadly Member

to summarise,

I have flashed a clone box with CryptStar-v1.4-Core257.bin and then in my stupidity and impatience on waiting for an answer also flashed with 4.51 firmw@re for THE B0X UK. I know this was wrong, please help me resolve as pc and box will not communicate now.

13. Dreadly

Dreadly Member

HI AGAIN,
    Ok, so i have tried to do this on another pc, (was suggested to me) it all seems ok till i click on update then it just sits at 0% and then says update fail, when i click on retry,.... same message. Please can u help anyone please please

14. ggoffer

ggoffer Member

Hi,

I tried to flash my *view clone as per your instructions but when i hit download there is no progress on the % bar can you help, I think ive all the neccessary cables and files as ive flashed my kyrptview recently.

15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Nice one Celtic71!
    Stickied

16. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Thanks Scouser :) and thank you Binkie ;) Cheers

17. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Dreadly and ggoffer ... I have added the BAD FLASH method in my second post above , try that and see if it works , it might take a FEW attempts but keep trying , it will work in the end :)

I had this problem once and it took me about 20 attempts before it worked :(

18. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Hi Celt was worth a stickie as it needed to be updated and you were just the girl for it.....so cheers again :)

19. bar12

bar12 Member

can you help me i am trying to put software for starview 1. downloaded right files but it keeps telling me serial port can't open have it at com1 but no good. it is not a clone. using laptop with usb to nul cable, any help would be great thanks

20. malci

malci Guest

Follow Celtic's instructions for the USB adaptor, you need to get it installed correctly and assigned to a port, 3rd post from top - if you fail then I suggest you take it to a Standalone PC, it will have the correct connection for your Null Modem cable (make sure you do have the correct Null Modem) all in Celtic's stickie above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.