1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starview

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by chaggy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. chaggy

chaggy Regular member

Hi All
    I'm considering a Starview box.I already have a dbox2 but want something for upstairs.Any advice would be appreciated,I see them on ebay,all say latest software and plug & play.I have read a few threads on here mainly that suggest that some people have to keep updating or the boxes come without cams etc.Anyway if somebody can give me some advice I would be gratefull.

Chaggy

2. chaggy

chaggy Regular member

Hi guys
    Anyone out there that can help please.

3. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

The problem was that the 258 software did not autoroll as expected so everyone had to go back to the 257 version. The last update before that was September 2006 as far as I can recall. The Starview's only drawbacks are, you can't edit the channel list on your PC like a DBox and it is not open source so if the manufacturer stops supporting it you're on your own.

4. chaggy

chaggy Regular member

Thanks for that mate.
    Is it likely that this will happen and would you recommend that I stick with the dbox2.Just thought it would be a good idea to have more than one option if you know what I mean.Look forward to your reply.

Chaggy

5. chaggy

chaggy Regular member

Thanks for that mate.
    Is it likely that this will happen and would you recommend that I stick with the dbox2.Just thought it would be a good idea to have more than one option if you know what I mean.Look forward to your reply.

Chaggy

6. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

For the difference in price, I would personally stick with the DBox for a 2nd box.

7. toondavy

toondavy Member

fekker do you think this is why my box wont flash with 257,258 or 259 ?

8. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

No, you should be able to flash without any problem. I doubt the problem you have is the Starview and is an issue either with the cable you are using or the COM PORT on your PC.