1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Static IP Address help please

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Fluke32, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Fluke32

Fluke32 Member

Hi
    I have followed all the instructions at Portforwarding.com on how to set a static ip address as I want to forward a port for UTorrent. I put all the details in that it asks, I have cheacked they are correct and then I cant get on the internet. The DNS servers have the right range as when I check the box to let it find the ip address automatically it connects to the internet fine. I cant figure out what Im doing wrong and why it doesnt work. The guide is very easy and simple, I understand what to do but I just cant get it to work. Any help would save me pulling out my hair !!! Im running Windows XP SP2.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

When you obtain your addresses from ipconfig/all, is it showing the same address for the Default Gateway and the DNS Server (s). Using that address when you set a static address would wipe out the internet opening.

3. Fluke32

Fluke32 Member

Hi Mistycat,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it is showing the same address. How Do I change it? Im really new to this and trying to get my head round it !!

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You will have to get them from your router (status bar, I think) or from your ISP. I had to go into my router to get mine or there should be no problem getting them from your ISP. I believe the website says something about not having to purchase a static address from them if they try to sell you one, the info is here: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

5. Fluke32

Fluke32 Member

Oh and I did the port check and the number of the port it gave me I added to the allow port list in Norton firewall and its still not doind anything. I have just installed PG2 as well. that seems to be working fine and Im still downloading from Utorrent just at 4kbs with a file with hundreds of seeders.

6. alexj1

alexj1 Member

MESSAGE FOR MISTYCAT - PLS HELP!

Huge apologies for taking over this thread but I REALLY need some help from one of the senior members of this site. My problem is related to setting up a static IP address and port forwarding for ABC. Here is my original post:

I need some help in setting up a static IP address and forwarding ports to that address. Am a newbie to the whole bit torrent world and have just started using ABC. I need to set up port forwarding, so i can get the max possible download and upload speeds. I have looked at the guide on portforwarding.com and tried to follow it step by step.

When I go to start, run, type cmd, click okay it says to type in "ipconfig/ all"
    but when I type this I get the message "ipconfig is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
    Have tried typing "ipconfig/ all" and "ipconfig/all" but same message everytime.

Can any of you experienced guys who use the ABC torrent PLEASE help....I really want to get my settings changed to make the most of bit torrents!
    My system is a 64bit and i have Windows XP Pro.

Thanks...

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

At options>preferences>connection, disable UPnP and use a port that isn't the default but over 10,000 (I use 34,450). At options>preferences>bittorrent, enable ProtoCol Encryption and allow incoming legacy connections but if allowing incoming legacy connections doesn't help, disable just it. You can also use both DHT options on public sites but not private. @alexj1: if entering ipconfig /all doesn't work, I don't know. I don't recommend programs I haven't used but maybe this will help. From a very security conscious site and lots of replies: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150520

8. Fluke32

Fluke32 Member

Alex1, thats ok, we seem to be in the same boat trying to work this out. I installed Peer Guardian 2 and its just completely blocked my internet. I had to do a system restor in the end just to get back to sqaure 1. Im with sky broadband and I phoned them to get the DNS servers range and they dont know what they are ! Their tech support is pittiful. Yesterday they didnt even know what model router they had sent me as there was nothing on the box. I phoned netgear and found out via the serial number. This whole port forwarding thing is completely beyond me. I think I will give up !!!

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Peer Guardian shouldn't cause any problems; I think you would find most here use it. Not to say that any program can't cause problems, though. As far as that support, it's not idiotic but incompetent. If you have other options and they don't block p2p, I would look to switching ISP's.