1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Static IP???

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by darko81, Oct 14, 2007.

1. darko81

darko81 Member

Be great if i could get these problems im having solved...

When setting up a static ip address on a wireless router, do i have to do that on the computer that has the router plugged in to it?

If i have more than one computer using the router will i have to config every computer using the static ip address?

When setting up a static ip address on my router it asks for an ip address...would that be something like 192.168.2.136?

Does the staic ip address on my router need to match the one on my computer and for every other computer does there need to be a static ip address assigned to it from the router?

hope u guys can help ive followed tutorials from port forward.com but could find anything talking about config you router...thanks

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You set up a static ip address on the computer where you want it and each computer needs a seperate address, don't use the same address for 2 or more computers. This guide tells you how to find your ip address at ipconfig/all, that may be the only place it shows correctly, it is for me and a few others: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Also pay attention to what is said about the DNS server (s) and Default Gateway being the same, again, mine were but no big deal to find. The address your router uses is not static even if it doesn't change each time you restart. Eventually it will change.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  3. darko81

darko81 Member

so do you need to set up a static ip address on your router or do you just do that on your computer (sorry if this sounds silly just trying to get my head round it) thanks for the help...

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Just on the computer, when you forward a port to your router, then you set it to that ip address in your router.