1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

static vs dynamic ip

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by bklyn1028, May 6, 2011.

1. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

I have vista. Changed my ip from dynamic to static (i have bright house roadrunner). Played ok, but then started having internet trouble. connected to msn (homepage), but nothing else. Reset the modem, nothing. reset the router, nothing wireless router. Went back to dynamic ip, and everything is fine. According to roadrunner tech support, if i change to static, roadrunner won't work for residential. So, how do I play? I have for some reason dd-wrt on my lynksis router, should I go back to Lynksis' own firmware?

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

The IP address Roadrunner gives you is an external address and changes at times unless you buy a business plan then you get static IP's and higher up speeds.
    Router settings is probably where you had issues. what address did you setup your computer?

3. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Ok...here is the issue. With a dynamic ip address I can play online (call of duty world at war zombies), but if I want to host, no one sees my room/lobby. If I change to statc ip address, my room/lobby is seen, but then the internet gets sketchy. Can't connect, connect, but can't move around or surf, and that is on other pc's on my wireless network. I don't know what to do.

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

The PC you game on is wireless too?
    My guess by that statement makes me think its a routing/bandwidth issue.
    How old is the wireless router? Sounds like alot of wireless traffic.
    Many people with older hardware cant game on one machine while getting good connections on others. Either that, or improperly setup new router. You can route game traffic to specific addresses, freeing up resources with many models.

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Fixed it. I reflashed back to Lynksis 4.21.1 firmware, did a hard reset 30/30/30 on the router, and all is good. I set up a static address so I can host, and everything works perfectly.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

I want to thank everyone for their input and help.

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

No problem. I don't really know if reflashing the firmware fixed it, i'd say doing the hard reset back to default wouldve fixed the problem even when you had the custom firmware. Many people who know more about this stuff than me swear by the dd-wrt because you get more control and options, turning a featureless, basic router into a professional grade model with more settings than you'll know what to do with. Either way, glad things worked out.

9. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Well, back to square one. I thought everything was fine. Tonight couldn't get on the net. Went back (in windows) and changed back from static to dynamic ip, and can get on the net. There has to be a way to configure this. Let is ask this: When you change in windows from dynamic to static, is there anything that has to be changed in the router also? It seems when I change from dyn to static, it is a temporary fix.

Last edited: May 10, 2011