1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Status of ps3 loader or the chance of loading back ups

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by zegame, Jul 9, 2007.

1. zegame

zegame Regular member

Hi, I haven't heard much on this topic in a long time. Is it coming? or is it merely a dream? and if so what is the target firmware for the loader when it comes out? /none of the websites I currently visit have said anything regarding this topic in months!

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

the iso loader is going to take some time sony has kept tight on ps3 security a flaw was found at firmware 1.8 and people are toying with that to see what they can come up with but im not waiting on a iso loader im waiting on that good ol psp style hacked firmware but if u dont mind opening up ur ps3 backups can be played now look at the swap switch tutorial

3. zegame

zegame Regular member

I thought the swap switch toturial was only for ps2 back ups? Even if how do you copy a ps3 game and where do you get the bluray disc???

4. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

it can be used to boot ps3 games as well as ps2 games but to backup ps3 games u will need a bluray burner which is still a lil on the expensive side and the disc are as well but in all honesty an iso loader is gonna be useless unless u decide to upgrade the hdd lets say for instance god of war 3 which will probably be on a dual layer blue ray if not a single full blue ray at a minimum of 25 gigs thats about half ur hard drive for one game backups are gonna be the way to go not an iso loader

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think the problem is with the .pkg files itself,and unless someone figures out how to mess with the encryption of these files a firmware hack is impossible.You can extract all the files from the updates,but all your gonna end up with is a bunch of .pkg files.I don't think there is a solution to extracting the .pkg files,and there probably won't be for a very long time.I seen a ps3toolchain not that long ago,which is good news for ps3 devs.I don't expect to see a psp type hack for the ps3 for a very long time,because Sony did a good job protecting the firmware updates.

6. zegame

zegame Regular member

The cheapest bluray burner i can find is 300 dollars. and bluray discs are about 30 dollars each! so then is it possible to upgrade my hard drive to about 250 gb and play the games straight from my hardrive? is there any chance of it blowing wide open like the psp?

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The Hypervisor recognizes the harddrive in a FAT32 state,which creates a problem for files over the 4GB limit so a harddrive hack doesn't stand a chance unless NTFS or something similar is being used.If any isoloader comes out it will probably use media instead of the actual harddrive.Linux overlaps the Hypervisor,so it doesn't take full control of the Hypervisor.I think an isoloader could be developed,but I don't think using the harddrive is going to be an option like I mentioned for a very long time.

8. samhung

samhung Member

Guys, a PS3 loader is NOT coming out anytime soon period.
    As stated by SCE the only way is to hack the ps3 wide open which is nearly impossible to do.

Playing PS3 backups with swap method is impossible so dont waste your money on a bluray burner.

PS3 disks are encrypted with the keys stored in a section of the bluray disk which cannot be copied with normal bluray burners.
    Even if you swap the disk, you would only be able to play the same backup game you swapped with since each game will have an unique key.

Dont get your hopes up, if you want to play backups get a WII or Xbox 360. Dont blow $500 bux thinking you'd get something for free in near or distant future.

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The thing is all game console companies state they have hack proof systems,and every single one has been hacked.I think media would infact work better than messing with the encrypted and format of the harddrive.The reason the PSP system uses storage instead of media is because nobody could just go out and buy a UMD drive that would duplicate the universal media.They called it Universal Media,but I still haven't found a blank umd or a writer for it.The PS3 uses Blu-Ray media,and you can purchase blank media and a writer for it.Why would you want to spend a bunch of money on a huge harddrive,and fill it up right away.When you could not only backup your PS3 games on Blu-Ray disc,but also backup your movies as well.I see using media as an advantage,but that is just my opinion though.

10. zegame

zegame Regular member

well you are partially right except for the fact that empty bluray discs are 30 dollars a pop and a burner is 300 so you are paying half of the price of the game just to back it up. That doesn't make sense at all. can anyone confirm that the swap switch actually works? I'm thinking about trying it.

11. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

unless BluRay burners fall a few hundred, no way its worth burning your own. As L-Burna said, PS3 prob doesn't use NTFS. Since FAT32 has a filesize limit of 4GB, theres no way in HELL you're getting a PS3 game onto that. Just like the 360...
    so unless someone can find an alternative method of getting a backup onto HDD & then playing it, you'll have to wait for BluRay burner prices to fall. Well there IS one possible way. If the encryption could be cr**ked so that an external HDD could be used. And that external HDD did not have to be FAT32. Or maybe if the hardware could be tricked into thinking the HDD was the BluRay disc itself, and you could load one game at a time onto a HDD to play it. But then you'd have to delete that game & copy over another just to play another game. Too much work!

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

If your talking about dual Blu-Ray media then yeah your right it does cost around $30 dollars at the moment,but like xhardc0re said the media and the burner will drop in price eventually.I remember when Dvd9 media was real expensive,and it dropped in price making it affordable for everyone.If you look off newegg they are selling the single sided 25Gig Blu-Ray media for $15 dollars or less.I can't even find a game that would need a dual Blu-Ray disc.I think the biggest game I seen so far is Oblivion,which averaged 17Gig or so if you dumped it with Linux or PS3Swiss.I haven't seen a game that would need dual Blu-Ray yet,and if it happens it probably will be on a rare occasion.Give it some time and watch the prices for Blu-Ray media and the burner.They should both drop in price,and I'm almost positive it will be affordable in the future.

13. zegame

zegame Regular member

You are right it will go down in price but in the mean time do we even have a way of loading it once it is copied on a bluray disc?

14. samhung

samhung Member

Nope.. it has been tried with the swap switch unsuccessfully.

15. zegame

zegame Regular member

Are there any hacking teams that are actively working on a loader or a way to load back up blurays? I remember a while back that they were releasing progress updates every week or so. what happened?