1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stay away from k-mart tyre and auto

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by xboxdvl2, Sep 18, 2014.

1. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i recently had new tyres and a wheel alignment done at k-mart tyre and auto and they checked the car over.they had the car litrally an hour and found 15 issues and said its due for a service.

I took my car to a mechanic the next day who sold me the car a few years ago to get everything checked.He found 2 issues possibly 3 and checked everything over.Also my oil and air filter is very clean so it doesn't need a service.I will get the car back tomorrow sometime fixed.

I don't know what k-mart are doing but they seem like scam artist, i don't recommend taking a car there.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

oil & filter change at 5000kms for normally aspirated,if it has turbo i'd recommend every 3oookms including normally aspirated diesel or turbo diesel.
    manufacturer actual recommendations are:
    5000kms oil change regardless if turbo or not
    10,000kms filter change
    Don't forget gearbox,brake fluid,differential & power steering need changing periodically including radiator fluid change & replace coolant.There is a radiator flush machine if required.
    Auto transmissions could do with a flush,perhaps even removal of pan & change or clean filter gauze
    Air & fuel filters need checking or replacing at times

don't forget to keep a record of what you get done & have a lube sticker on windscreen to remind you at what kms to do oil & filter

Reason i like filter & oil change at 3000 is it keeps both clean & because i used to have a mk5 cortina which i fitted with a turbo & that dam thing used to make the oil go off (blacken sooner).

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have done 3000kms in 2 years (since last service) and oil still looks like new, filters look in great condition.
    got my radiator replaced.got my exhaust replaced.engine cleaned no other issues.

i have a glove box full of paperwork to see what previous owner had done aswell as paperwork to show what i've had done.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

lol..@ 3000k's in 2 years

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Most tire places can't be trusted. Fortunately, the managers often are not smart enough to make the lie convincing. At least for clever lads like the 2 of you.

If you have Costco that is a great place to get tires. They are very competitive and they don't have employee sales incentives. They are all salaried. They do good work. The only time I go elsewhere is when I need something on Sunday and try not to get reamed too hard.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

we don't have Costco in australia.I have seen the youtube scam videos in usa.

ive had the exhaust done,radiator done,new tyres and engine cleaned i drove 10kms other day and no issues and did 30km trip today most at 90kmph and no issues apart from a warm oil smell (my car is from 1993 so apparently thats normal).Infact the oil leak that kmart claimed to found the mechanic didn't find after cleaning the engine he drove 15kms to test the car (i know cause i checked the odometer)

7. Mez

Mez Active member

If I didn't see oil on my driveway there is no way I would pay someone to fix the leak. I would check the oil level daily till I was sure there was no leak.

The radio in our Odyssey wasn't working. I checked the fuses and suspected a rely. The dealer wanted to try swapping out the radio. The radio is 1500 USDs plus 500 labor for a custom radio for that van. Never buy a Nissan! I said what if that doesn't fix the problem? He said then we eliminated the prime suspect. I told him he better refund my money since I didn't want to pay for his mistake. He thought that was a bad idea so I took it to a shop that charged me 250 for labor and 25 for the bad rely.

8. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i didn't see oil in my driveway but i did see smoke coming out my bonnet before taking the car to the mechanic as oil had leaked on the exhaust and was burning after cleaning the engine no oil was burning or leaking.

a car stereo should be easy to check your take the radio out and use a multimeter to check voltage on the wires that go to and from the radio.Infact you can pick up an aftermarket cd/mp3 radio with usb playback and more from kenwood,pioneer,sony or all the other major brands for about $100-$300 plus most places that sell them will fit it for an extra $50 and solder the wires together if it has no head connector on it.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I would have the first idea how to take that radio out. The mechanics didn't do that either, too hard. The bad relay was found, checking the power grid.

The radio in that car is oval and is integrated into a command console. The controls for the radio also are used to access the car computer. I would never buy a car with that kind of set up. It is designed to be a maintenance nightmare. I would never buy a Nissan the opt for features like keyless entry that appear nice to have until you think about all the downsides you have if something goes wrong.

10. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i don't know i havn't owned a modern car.if its a whole car entertainment with gps+ all the bells and whistles it would be more complicated then replacing a simple stereo if something went wrong.
    I learnt to drive around the year 2000 with no airbags,no reverse sensors ,no in car dvds or gps,no front sensors,no traction control,there is probably a dozen other safety features available now that we didn't have back then.
    I havn't crashed but i could imagine driving a vehicle with dozens of sounds coming from all directions could be a nightmare and more of a distraction then useful.

11. Mez

Mez Active member

Most of those safety features are forced on us to keep the morons alive. I don't even like anti-lock brakes. If that had a normal stereo I would have replaced it so I could play mp3s in the van.