1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step By Step Modding Advice w/ Pics

Discussion in 'PS2' started by FeRoWoRks, Oct 16, 2004.

1. FeRoWoRks

FeRoWoRks Guest

For the less experienced modders, that risk destroying their ps2's and have never picked up a solder iron. I figure it would be cool if someone with alot of experience modding to possible post a step by step guide here on afterdawn. Afterdawn ownz my favorite site online so far. Thankfully due to so many sources that is has to educate us with. So can someone Plz Plz PLZ, take the time to help a fellow disciple out?

I am currently down 2 ps2's from screwing up the soldering process... mostly on my part. Tryin to install a duo 2 chip into v9's... My main problem is sticking the solder to the damn board. For some reason the solder prefers to stay on the iron than on the surfaces. in diagram 3.

[​IMG]

Someone asked before if it was possible to attach the solder to the corresponding legs.. i dunno if anyone has tried this .. but it actually does sound easier.

i beleive my solderer is too big so i ordered a bunch of installation stuff from another modsite in canada.

I hope the Tips will be worthwile and possible STICKY worthy for Modders of the future.

2. FeRoWoRks

FeRoWoRks Guest

PS [bold]TIA!!![/bold]

And again i love the site... i hope to be a active member in these forums for future references.. and if i have to learn how to do it the hard way on my own, i promise i will and i'll post my own guide for others to see here.... just to do my part.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2004
  3. FeRoWoRks

FeRoWoRks Guest

Welll i guess that makes 3 ps2's in the can... I don't understand where exactly i went wrong.. all my connections were clean... and i took the mod chip back out... and the system just is not working... i cleaned the it up... and all i got is a blank screen and horrible noise

4. MattSWE

MattSWE Member

i could never see wasting 3 ps2's for a mod chip. HD Advance my man :)

5. FeRoWoRks

FeRoWoRks Guest

my state of mind basically... was that if i could figure out to mod correctly... i'll be able to just make my money back by... possibly modding some of my friends ps2's... but i guess thats not gonna happen.. and i'll just have to cut my losses... anyone kno a cheap EASTCOAST pro that can do installs?

6. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

If you can't do it yourself, just buy a premod. When I first started doing modchips, I also made a few costly mistakes, but certainly not 3 in a row.

Installations are generally quite reasonable for price. Just be careful who you use and make sure you get to see their workspace and equipment they are using to avoid it being done by another amature.

7. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Sounds to me as if you have solder underneath the legs on the bios in the ps2. This would figure why you have no video or sound on your tv.

Get some de-solder braid and heat it while holding it on the legs and it should come out and your ps2 should then work.

8. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

I highly reccomend steelcityelectronics.com I've had my V10 PS2 modded with a Magic V 50K6 and the install was perfect and reliable. The guy's name is Bern and he's from PA.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  9. bluntface

bluntface Member

i have never soldered anything but i know there is stuff called flux to make it not stick

10. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

flux is used to clean the suface and help the solder to stick.

11. FeRoWoRks

FeRoWoRks Guest

Thanx Guys for your inputs...

Matt i tried that already... kinda soaked up all the remaining solder wit the braid... still no go... after giving it a good deeper look.. it looks like i might have once again made another mistake on my part... and with a razor actually sliced thru a track on the main board...

I'm very upset that i made such a dumb mistake... but hey... I'm gonna give it ONE LAST SHOT.

I'm far from a quitter..

DArc... good looks on the recommendation. Thats the most resonably priced install i've seen so far.

I really wanna get this installin down pack. So hopefully i could hook people i kno up wit mods. And hopefully make my money back. Thats the over all plan.

When i get it down pack i'mma definately post a step by step... I think it would be very helpful.

BTW. Anyone kno if the new pstwo is modable? or even worth installing a modchip. I'm finding it hard now to find v4-v10 ps2's now..

12. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

13. darc-syde

darc-syde Member

If you have any fried PS2's sittin around you should solder,desolder on that board until you are absolutly comfortable with soldering. That's the only way the pros get as good as they are. And make sure you have all of the proper equipment (15watt soldering iron, 30-33 guage kynar wire, flux, magnifying glass, razor blade, hotglue gun, desolder braid or desolder pump) Those are the must-have tools that will make it easier and lots and lots of practice. I'll post a pic of the install steelcityelectronics did for me to show you their quality. I have a V10 PS2 with a Magic V 50K6.

14. Dorkust

Dorkust Member

I've modded like 30 PS2's. My first was a version 1. Used a NEO4. Many wires and it sucked. It was very hard and I learned the hard way. I just modded one right now. Took all the shyt and thought I would write it down :
    - scalpal
    - solder paste
    - wire cutters
    - flashlight (small, bright LED)
    - magnify glass
    - electrical tape
    - extra 30 guage wire
    - a couple of beer
    Start with bottom side first. Its the worst. Scrape off enamel with scapal. Solder one wire on and tape 1/4" back. Repeat until bottom is done. Bottom side is hard....very hard. Take your time. If it won't stick, walk away for awhile. Try again later. It sucks, but it has to be done. Take a drink, relax, watch tv. Try again when you stop swearing. Next; find hole to put bottom wires around (through) to front side. Solder front side of board. Use magnify glass for good connection and no bridges. I pull on wire with scapal to make sure its connect. Nice and gentle, but firm. If it pulls off, resolder better and do pull test. Half rebuild PS2. Test. If it works, put screws in and finish assembly. If it doesn't work, check connections for no contact or bridges. Eg. I finished a V9 with a Magic 5. Did the test and had a blank screen. Took apart, checked connections with pull test and magnify glass. Found 3.3V connect was shorted to a nearby connection. Fixed and bang! Had a drink for that! Its so satisfying when you see the "Playstation 2" logo. That means you are home free. I"m getting drunk now....

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hahaha lol sounds like you do your homework on soldering.It isn't really that hard to be honest I was practicing with a old super nintendo mother board.It has very small points,and my tip was big.I never had an old PS1 or anything like that to mess with,so this was the only electric garbage I could mess with.I never burnt the board,and it really has to do with being cautious to be honest.You can't keep the solder iron on the board for more than 2 seconds,and you shouldn't for the reason of burning contacts on it.I use a dip trick while the solder is on the tip of my iron.I never try to use too much solder,but you can tell if you use too much.If the solder falls off the very end tip that is too much.If you can get the solder to stick to the solder iron before soldering you are in good hands.I am new to modding also,and I should be experimenting real soon.Another thing is it is ok to use flux alot,but try not to put too much solder on your points.

16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Another thing is that you have to know how to read the diagram of the modchip install.The points all have a meaning to them right.The Duo2 SE V10 install diagram that you have is giving you 21 wires to solder so far that I can see.The PWR point is the power wire,the GND is the ground wire,and the RST is the reset wire.The rest of the points are explainatory by themselves I think.I think I can find a better picture of a install to help out,but still doing the actual work is different right.

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I found this install picture of a DUO2SE V10 install hope it helps out.

[​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Just roll an L and pass a incent[/small]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  18. Dorkust

Dorkust Member

I like the wires going under the surface mount. I'll have remember that.

19. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah man those are the I,H,G,F,B wires being soldered under the motherboard.I thought the picture would help you out,definately give you better location of where to put the modchip and make it easier for you to relocate your wires.The picture I found off norcalmods a site that is well known for modchip installs.They have pictures of all kinds of mod installs on there site.If you ever want to find the best place to start off on doing a mod install, http://norcalmods.com is a good place to look at.They give you a full description on where to put your modchip,and even give you detail of how to make it look nice after it is done.

20. moqtada

moqtada Member

One tip; when i was modding me own PS2, i couldn't solder to to the vias (and the other copper pads), so for the bios chip (diagram 3) i soldered straight to the chip legs. But for the DVD controller, (these are the B,G,I,H points in your picture), my soldering skillz were not good enough to solder directly to the chip legs (these ones are extemely close together) . So what you can do (i haven't seen anyone else do this): is get your wire and with a razor blade remove one side of the sheilding at the tip (5mm from the end) of the wire. Then flatten the very end of the wire, so the end becomes a point. Now you can slide the wire in between the chip legs, so that the exposed side of the wire is in contact with the correct chip leg, and the other side is shielded from the neighbouring leg.

It's very easy to do and doesn't invole any soldering.
    Also one thing that is very useful is a multi-meter to test continuity, any cheap multi-meter will do this.