1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step by Step streaming for a noob...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Vdub2, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Vdub2

Vdub2 Member

I was hoping that someone could tell me (the noob) how to stream video from my pc to my ps3 step by step keeping in mind that I am not as advanced as anyone on this forum. I have searched the topic and have not found any step by step instructions. Everything I have found are posts by people that already know how but are having trouble. Examples of what confuses me...

1) Do I have to have Linux on my ps3 to stream?
    2) When explaining setups the biggest problem I run into is no one is specifically saying "on your ps3 do this" or "on your pc do this"
    3) Can I stream a torrent or does it first need to be converted?
    4) Can someone show me where to get ps3video9 other than on redkawa.com (it doesn't seem to be working, installation fails every time)

I just want to be sure that I start from the beginning and do it right. Thanks for any help!

2. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

No you dont need linux and no you cant stream torrents.
    tversity is the program you want it will convert the video aswell as stream it.

ok get tversity just click the link ^^. install that on your PC. once its installed open it and click "file" click add file or add folder then browse. browse to where your videos, music or photos are. you can add whole folders with media in them, like lots of videos in one folder. click ok. then click submit. you will see the folder added to the sharing tab.

if you have a wireless internet connection add TVersity to the exceptions list on windows firewall. windows should automatically ask you if you want to unblock it once it has installed if not then go to:
    start/control panel/windows firewall/exceptions/add program.
    and browse to the tversity program in program files and add it.

power up your ps3. then click on media servers. once its finished searching it should say 1 media server found. then all you do is click on tversity on your ps3 and you'll see a list. videos, music, pictures.
    lets say you added a video folder click videos/my videos/folders. the folder that you added on your PC will be there then open it up and click whatever video you want to play. tada! streaming video.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  3. Vdub2

Vdub2 Member

Awesome! The only problem I am having now is, where do I find "Media Servers" on my ps3?? Sorry for being, well, stupid about this stuff. Thanks again!

4. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

dude, it says it right under the subsection of the item you are trying to stream in the ps3 menu. Have you used the ps3? Like when you go to video, if you have any video files it will show them, but then it will also show media servers underneath them. hope that helps

5. Vdub2

Vdub2 Member

Ive only used it to play games. This is the first attempt at this stuff. I'm trying to update the ps3 firmware to 1.93 but at about 4% i get an error. Any ideas???

6. liamrabey

liamrabey Regular member

Keep trying again - I have heard a couple of people have had this error with this update, eventually it works though.

7. Vdub2

Vdub2 Member

Okay, it's done. I'm successfully streaming, a little choppy though, and I have the new firmware. The issue with the 1.93 update showing an error was that I had a USB keybord and the charging cable for the remote plugged into the front. After I disconnected those it updated without a problem, strange. Thanks for everyones help on this! I only wish the video streaming was smoother. Thanks again!

8. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

It shouldn't be choppy. What are the specs on your computer.

9. Vdub2

Vdub2 Member

sorry for the delayed response. I have a 2.13 GHz core 2 duo with 2GB of RAM, 160GB HD and running Windows XP. I didn't think it would be choppy at all but i'm still having that problem.