1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticking DVD playback

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jarushby, Mar 3, 2004.

1. jarushby

jarushby Member

I have converted many AVIs (both PAL and NTSC) to DVD and had no problems whatsoever with playback on various DVD players. I have however recently converted an AVI to DVD which plays perfectly on my PCs DVD player and also ok with my LG3000 DVD but seems to stick (screen freeses)when played back upon my Pioneer DV444 every 8-12 secs. Any ideas??.I have not had any such problems with any other DVD that I have burned. Any Ideas?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Did you do anything differnt this time? Different software? Different media? Different chanting to the burning gods for success?

Have you tried reburning the files in question? It may have just been a bum disc.

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Haha!

Nice one Nephilim,

i have just finished posting on another thread, then came and read your post here
    Coincidence, or what??

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/74437

Have Fun...

4. jarushby

jarushby Member

exactly the same process has been used as with other dvds. ie tmpg to decode. ifoedit to author and nero to burn. same burn speeds etc etc etc.

have now burned 3 seperate discs on different media. (all of which have given no problems in the past) and the problem still exists when played back on dv444.

One possibility I have thought of, but certainly not logical, is the fps on the original avi..this one is 23.976 ie ntsc... I believe all other Ntsc files that I have burned have been 29.???. Does TMPG handle the different frame rate any differently.Could this be why the dv444 seems unable to "track" the dvd???

Or is it a macrovision problem????

Any help greatly appreciated...maybe chanting at a lower frequency will help!!!

5. Nephilim

This one may be out of my realm of experience. Because of time constaints and actual need I haven't used TMPGEnc yet.

You may have figured it out as far as the framerates being different. Hopefully some TMPGEnc gurus will pick up this thread and sort things out for you.

And welcome to AD :)

6. jarushby

jarushby Member

Thanks Nephilim...It has to be said the info in this site is priceless!!!!

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya jarushby,

Nephilim asked me to drop by and have a look at your problem.

My thoughts are thus:

1 - You have been encoding an NTSC film (23.976) when the majority of the work you have done has been on NTSC (29.76), nearly 6 frames/sec difference.

2 - with a GOP structure of 1/5/2 (18 frames/GOP), the 6 frames/sec difference will cause a GOP jump every few seconds, that error accumulates until you see the effect.

3 - You may have encoded it with an open GOP structure, the open GOP structure can cause playback problems (timing issues) on [bold]some[/bold] DVD players: DVDs invariably are encoded using a closed GOP.

4 - Instead of authoring with IFOEdit (in this instance), try TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.5:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda.html

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction...

Byeeee...

8. Nephilim

Uhhh....YEAH that's what I was going to say :p

9. jarushby

jarushby Member

Thanks, solved the problem beautifully. Is there anywhere on afterdark to read up upon GOP structures. Your explanation sort of blew my mind and I wish to remove this feeling of ignorance that I now have :)