1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticky Time?......DVD Shrink Won't Work With New Sony Tristar Movies

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by coltrane, Apr 21, 2005.

1. coltrane

coltrane Member

Can we get a sticky about this? It seems everyweek now there are multiple posts on people having trouble with DVDShrink and these New Sony Tristar movies.... Spanglish, House of Flying Daggers, resident evil:apocalypse, closer, The Grudge ETC.

You must use DVDdecrypter 3.5.4 or other newer software to rip these movies before shrinking them.

I realize some people do have other issues, but I'd say 95% of the cases I've seen have been solved by using DVDdecrypter to Rip.

What do you guys think is it sticky worthy?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Ummmm .... No.

What make a sticky about movies Shrink cannot do? I don't think so.

3. coltrane

coltrane Member

Your Kidding me right.... Because users of Shrink are hitting a brick wall with these movies, then they come here looking for answers.

Wouldn't it just be much easier to post something as simple as this at the top....... DVDShrink Will Not Rip New Sony Tristar Movies.

If I'm the only one that feels this way.... I'll just go away. But theres gotta be some people on here that get tired of seeing the same problem having to be answered every week.

4. flip218

Did I say j/k? NO ... I said "Ummm ... No."

I don't see your point. What would the sticky be? a list of movies Shrink cannot do? They are still going to look for a solution ... and the solution is AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter.

Let me tell you a sticky wouldn't change that.

5. flip218

I'm one of them, but I don't reply to every (ex. "can't do RE2 w/ Shrink thread") or whatever movie of the week there is.

6. coltrane

coltrane Member

Flip, it must drive you of all people crazy. If there is a Known issue with DVDshrink and Sony Tristar why not just Sticky it. I'm sure you'll still get some posts from people who don't read it. But it seems to me that it would cut down considerably on the Movie of the week threads.

Whats the big deal with posting something permanently?

7. coltrane

coltrane Member

The Sticky could be as simple as: DVDSHRINK Will Not Rip New Sony Tristar Movies. And then point them in the right direction of a program that will work... AnyDVD or DVDdecrypter.

8. flip218

Nothing ... It's not a big deal, but I (myself) don't think it's sticky worthy. Your entitled to your own opinion.

No it wouldn't.

9. coltrane

coltrane Member

Well obviously it's up to you flip, And since no else has chimed in the defense of a sticky.... I'll just go away. But not before I make the post I originally planned on making, before I saw the 100th "this sony movie won't work thread".

No hard feelings Flip, just thought it might help some people out.

Peace Brotha'

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I can see what you're getting at coltrane but the fact of the matter is the majority of folks don't pay attention to the stickies. Every new Sony title that comes out will be followed by a rash of redundant posts about it. Once that happens I just shut them down and tell them to try a forum search which means if they missed a whole mess of similar threads they most likely never would've seen the sticky :)

11. coltrane

coltrane Member

That makes since, I guess there'll always be some people who don't pay attention to stickys.

It doesn't really bother me much because I only visit on occasion. But like I said to Flip, it's gotta be driving you mods crazy. I personally learned about the problem from you guys months ago back when RE came out, and I'm very grateful for the knowledge gained from this forum.

I just thought a sticky would help lighten the load, especially considering DVDshrink can't and never will be able to rip these new Sony discs. But like you said, you could probably have it written across the screen in huge blood red letters "SHRINK WILL NOT RIP NEW SONY DVDS"; and you'd still get people asking why they can't shrink Movie "X".....

Thanks for taking the time to respon NEPH..... :)

See ya

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@coltrane

LOL... Sorry had to laugh. Evidently you don't even read the sticky's because if you did you would see this covered in this one http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136 pay particular attention to the FAQ number 14 ;-)

Problem is like Flip said no one read's them anyway, but we could start pointing them in that direction :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  13. flip218

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Where, who, when, why.. LOL

Oh it was you wasen't it? LOL HA HA HA

Ok your smart... I will just leave it at that :)

15. coltrane

coltrane Member

Man Mayo thats burried pretty deep in there..... and to a newbie it's not nearly as easy to understand as "DVDSHRINK WILL NOT RIP NEW SONY DVDS" and the fact that its not posted on the Shrink forum doesn't help much either.

Sorry I missed that one, but when I have DVDsrink issues I generally go to the Shrink forum not to the DVD-R forum.

Well evidently no one else agrees with me on this one, so like I said before I'll just be on my way.

peace

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I agreed with you :) Read the that thread now ;-)

17. coltrane

coltrane Member

@Mayo
    Sorry about that Bro.... My eyes must be buggin' out.... I'm on my crappy laptop and am in the middle of a Madden 2005 PS2 Game. I'm not really all there right now.

Well I do feel a little better now, I'm not the only one.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@coltrane - just my 5quid - i usually go straight to official decrypter forum as lightning uk tends to have a few 'pinned' topics at top of page for stuff like this. The thing that drives me barmy is that the few times i do get a new film that i can't copy (rare so far), searching on afterdawn (and other sites) does tend to result in far too many false positives, so instead my default way around things is to first try decrypter (i normally just use Shrink). If that doesn't work i mooch a bit more to try find the problem. If no luck i do a google search; if all else fails i search on decrypter forum and here.
    I sympathise as it's hard to see the wood for the trees, but unforunately you will never stop ppl starting 500 new threads cus they don't think to search first. It's particularly frustrating having to then wade thru (some of) those of unnecessary search results that these ppl generated when you yourself have a need to find something. I feel sorry for these ppl's workmates as they are probably the same at work :)
    Searching for too long thru unnecessary crud does incense me sometimes as i self-taught myself a new career by simply searching google and it does make me wonder why others can't just search and read and solve their own problems.
    <moan over>

:)