1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still can't backup a game... 8 coasters and counting

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by BusterBoy, Oct 22, 2004.

1. BusterBoy

BusterBoy Member

PS2 version 5, DUO2, Lite-on 811-S (latest firmware). I've tried using Decrypter and Nero. Tried Fuji Dvd-r and Ritek G04's. I've tried Def Jam (DJFFNY), Hot shots golf fore, and Gran Turismo 3. Nothing. My friend lent me some PS2 DVD backups of his, they work fine. It gets to where it says "PLaystation 2" then goes black. WTF. When I look at the discs I burn you could see a small (I mean hairline) ring about 2mm from where it appears it starts to burn. Plays DVD movies (DVD+)in disable mode. Plays my CD-R games cool. Anyone help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read many a posts but came up empty.

2. gillies

gillies Regular member

alcohol works fine and also use dvd-r disks

3. gillies

gillies Regular member

i also tried using nero and decrypter and it didnt work so alcohol or blindwrite

4. mad89

mad89 Member

gillies is right...

you need to use dvd-r discs...

i have a v5 ps2 modded with a messiah and find that all games work under 2 simple conditions:
    they being:

1. ALL games burnt at 1x speed
    2. ALL games burnt on dvd-r media

try these 2 steps and see how you go...

take note, are yoiur friends games (that he borrowed you) on dvd+r or dvd-r...

maybe you have the answer to your own question printed on the label of you mates disk...

see how you go, if not send another post...

5. BusterBoy

BusterBoy Member

should have mentioned I tried ALcohol 120. Everything burned at 1x, never on the fly. I used FUji dvd-r. My friends the one that told me to get Ritek G04 cause that's what he lent me that worked. Still nothing. Checked for bridges on solder connections just because I could, even though it can't be it since his games work. Could my burner have died (liteon ldw811s 3 months old). Need more help. Shouldn't be this hard. Thanx.

6. BusterBoy

BusterBoy Member

My version od Alcohol is 1.9.2 (build 1705) and it won't let me burn anything under 8X. I go to image maker then it has read at max. Can't even select PS2 or nothing. Then when it's done image burning wizard doesn't let me select the burn speed, just max. Nevertheless, decrypter should have handled it, right?

7. rowdan

rowdan Member

Get "Nero" or "DVD Decrypter" both of thoose are very easy to use and in most cases suport at lease 2x burning. also chyeck your media, does it say it can burn at 1x or 2x or does it say 8x only?

8. gillies

gillies Regular member

also try installing patin couffin if you dont allready have it and if your dvd burner was broken it woudnt write anything on your blanks but i am assuming it does. if that doesnt work dl blindwrite 5 select copy. change settings to 4x, and copy at automatic, that has to work. try backing up some games that you know work on your ps2 i also use princo disks and have no probs good luck

9. al2k4

al2k4 Member

i having the same problem but not for all my games,which is driving me nut. It gets all the way to the ps2 logo screen then just blank. now, if i was burning improperly, why would some games work and other don't. mortal kombat, jap berserk and gta5 all give me the same problem. Maybe it the size of the game. i don't know. Im going to try to rebuild the iso using iso buster and cddvdgen.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, I'm an old hand at DVD backup, but new at PS2 game backup. I have Alchohol 120 and Decrypter (and a bunch of others, but I heard these were the ones to use along with blindwrite).

My question is I heard the copy protection has to be copied back into the backup, do these apps do that while using them automatically, or is there another step you have to do to accomplish this?

11. mad89

mad89 Member

bigorange...

a few simple steps to burning ps2 games:

1. download and install dvd decrypter (as you have done)
    2. open dvd decrypter and select, mode > iso > read
    3. put game in dvd-rom/dvd-rw drive
    4. select destination
    5. click decrypt
    6. once finished decrypting (reading), select, mode > iso > write
    7. insert blank disc (dvd-r) into dvd-rw drive
    8. browse and find your created .iso image and select it.
    9. select speed

[bold]NOTE: ALWAYS USE 1x SPEED FOR A GAURANTEED PERFECT COPY, or 2x SPEED AT MAXIMUM
    (YOU MAY HAVE SOME MINOR PROBLEMS WHEN BURNING AT 2x SPEED, OF THE GAME NOT BOOTING,JUMPY,GLITCHY,CHOPPY, ETC)[/bold]

[bold]NEVER BURN HIGHER THAN 2x SPEED, YOULL BE ASKING FOR TROUBLE/ERRORS [/bold]

10. click burn
    11. enjoy playing your newly aquired game!!!

burning at 1x speed may take some time, but its better to wait longer for a game to work, rather than do it fast and make coasters...

see how you go with that and try it... if any problems post back...

PS. edited for typo

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  12. al2k4

al2k4 Member

hey i'm been pass the phase of burning ps2 backups. the iso is already on my hd. its that my ps2 won't load the damn game. It gets to the ps2 logo screen then blank.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Thanx mad, that's pretty much what i did, most of DVD backup holds true for PS2 backup, I guess(except in DVD I never go over 4x). My game should be modded w/DMS 3+ next week, so I'll see how she goes. Appreciate the quick response ;>)

14. BusterBoy

BusterBoy Member

Problem Fixed. It wasn't a software problem. It was a hardware problem. After changing media, software, switching burners, checking for bridges, and cleaning the lens, it ended up being the lens angle. Thanks for everyone who tried to help and my buddy Juice. Al2k4, my problem was the same, it would get to the "Playstation 2" screen then die. I adjusted the angle (tedious, but worth it), and all is good. The only problem now is that now instead of coasters I have four copies of Hot Shots and four of Def Jam New York ;). I love this board thanx.

15. al2k4

al2k4 Member

lens angle angle of the ps2. how did you fix that? I open up my ps2 and i had a lot of problems closing it and had to bring it somewhere to be fixed.

16. al2k4

al2k4 Member

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm....I'd be interested to know how to adjust the lens angle also. We may have to go to a different section :>)

18. BusterBoy

BusterBoy Member

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

perfect!, thanx :>)

20. c00ns

c00ns Member

so did i burn the mds file too? or just the iso?